Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCE approval odds for a 677

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex BCE approval odds for a 677

This would be my first credit card on my own. I was on my mom's Chase as an authorized user until my father put me on his Amex recently. Finally out of school, working a job to save up money for grad school, and want to bump up my credit.

Credit Karma suggested I have very good odds at approval and I tried the Amex prequal link and the same card was suggested.

I'm not sure how accurate these are, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex BCE approval odds for a 677

Did the prequel say you were qualified, and show you the BCE. Or did it or that no offers were found, but here are some suggestions, and the BCE was one of them?

Did you get that score from Credit Karma as well? Don't trust Credit Karma scores or recommendations. They're designed to male you want to apply, because they get a referral bonus. 

I've seen incredibly few people start their credit journey with Amex, because they don't typically like being your first card. You should check out the Discover It or Capital One's offerings. 

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It brought me to a page saying here are the cards you're pre qualified for and listed the BCE and the BCP.

And that's why I'm asking, because I thought it was strange both sites suggested that.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it seems clear you have been pre-approved, give it a shot. My CK scores were in that range when I got approved (though FICO's reported on Discover and BOA statements were around 709). 

Also, I think the Amazon bonus for BCE/BCP (10% for 6 months up to $200 CB) ends on Jan. 11. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My opinion is don't app.  I wrote a thread once with my opinion why:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Should-I-app-for-Would-I-get-approved-for-t...

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you were pre-approved you would more than likely be approved.  677 is an OK score, but still close to the borderline for BCE.  I was pre-approved through AMEX for the BCE and BCP when my EX was at a 656 and I jumped on it and got a $1,000 SL that hasnt budged since I got it in April.

Message 6 of 14
newhis
Valued Contributor

I think BCE is a good first card.

Amex doesn't use the CK score (Vantage 3), if you want to see your EX FICO score go to freecreditscore or Discover's score card.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you were pre-approved you would more than likely be approved.  677 is an OK score, but still close to the borderline for BCE.  I was pre-approved through AMEX for the BCE and BCP when my EX was at a 656 and I jumped on it and got a $1,000 SL that hasnt budged since I got it in April.

I agree about this being a borderline score, that if approved will likely result in the same $1000 SL.  Now, there are 2 different ways to look at this. 

1 - The person just wants to be approved.  If that's your only goal and you're cool with a $1000 limit for possibly a year or longer then that's fine.

2 - The person wants to be approved AND obtain a workable to strong limit in the relative near future.  This person should NOT apply. 

Many creditors such as Capital One and some have suggested Amex as well will sort of "blacklist" those that they barely let in.  With Capital One I barely got in with a low-mid 600's score and today with high 700's scores about 2 years later I can't get a CLI and the biggest CLI I've ever gotten was $500 when I know **bleep** well if I applied for another CO product right now I'd get APPROVED with a SL of about 3X what my current limit is after 2 years from that low credit score approval. 

Fpr those that are more like "2" you should wait and apply in 6 months.  Not only will you get better than a $1k SL, but you'll also be able to grow whatever that limit is much faster than if you apply and sneak in with a minimum limit now.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I see the benefit of waiting, certainly it depends on what the person is looking for. Personally, I don't need much of a limit to work with to make a card very usable. 

I'm certainly someone that probably barely got approved for most of my cards. I certainly understand I'm at risk of not seeing meaningful CLI's over the next year or so because of that. But even with the tiny limits, I spend a ton of money on credit cards. I put basically every personal and business expense on credit cards (every place that will take them and not charge a prohibitive fee, at least). I can easily put $50,000 a year on cards with only one limiit above $1200. The low limits can be a little restrictive, but to do everything I'd want to do on a card, the increases I'd want aren't that much. A couple of cards with a $2000-3000 limits would more than cover me.

So the question comes down to this......is it worth forgoing 6-12 months of extra rewards gained in exchange for really high limits down the road? Maybe it is for some, but I'll be able to get about $1700 in cash rewards in 2017 with toy limits (and a half decent card SD'd). I'm not giving a good chunk of that back so that I'm in better shape for $30,000 limits in a couple of years. 

If a company is going to blackball me from CLI's because I started low, that's fine. That's why I have a few different cards. If one doesn't want me using their card, there are others that do. Or not. I don't really care. The credit limit is only a purchase size maximum for me. I haven't written a lot of checks for more than $10,000 in my life

I sort of get the desire for high limits, but really, I just want to be able to maximize rewards. From personal experience, I know you can work the hell out of a few cards with $400-2500 limits.

Not trying to be argumentative. Just that for some, the risk of barely getting in and getting stuck at low limit is probably worth it.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with your post above that much of the same can be accomplished with a handful of cards with $1000-$2000 limits (for example) that several cards with 5-figure limits, with the only constraint being on high ticket item purchases. 

I do, however, feel you are in the minority here with accepting that type of lifestyle.  I don't think many people want to have to worry about having to use a bunch of cards, make a bunch of payments (possibly multiple payments per month per card) per card and have to worry about a maximum purchase amount with their CL being the constraint.  The majority I think would like to not have to worry about those things and simply have a limit that would more than cover all of the above.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.