Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCE denied. Recon?

tag
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex BCE denied. Recon?

@trumpet-205 wrote:

If Delta one is free of AF, I'm more than happy to take it. It seems to me that Delta AMEX all have AF.

I will keep an eye on my reports, and if AMEX didn't hard pull it, I'll give it another try on Feb and Mar. If AMEX still denies me by March, guess I'll just have to pay that $25 AF and wait for next year.

Actually Delta has a new AMEX credit card called Delta SkyMiles Options Credit Card which has no AF. But I dont know anything about it.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 41 of 49
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I talked to a rep on the recon line and she wouldn't do anything to recon it. She said to wait a few months and try apping again. I was going to call the executive office back and try my luck again (maybe I'll get someone more friendly this time and actually be able to put it in for a manual review), but at this point I just don't feel like dealing with the stress of it. I have enough other things to worry about without having to deal with an elitist credit card company at this point.

I'll probably try apping again in the future, but right now the recon just doesn't seem worth it. I've never actually had a successful recon on any apps, and I don't see why it would start from Amex. Just gotta take the hits from the inquiries and try again in the future once I feel that they're more inclined to approve me. Right now, it's just not worth the stress.

Dont know if you want to take another HP but maybe you should try for a charge card to get in with AMEX. Just a thought

Message 42 of 49
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

If Delta one is free of AF, I'm more than happy to take it. It seems to me that Delta AMEX all have AF.

I will keep an eye on my reports, and if AMEX didn't hard pull it, I'll give it another try on Feb and Mar. If AMEX still denies me by March, guess I'll just have to pay that $25 AF and wait for next year.

Actually Delta has a new AMEX credit card called Delta SkyMiles Options Credit Card which has no AF. But I dont know anything about it.

Good find. How come it is not listed in View All section?

Message 43 of 49
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Wait a year and re-apply. Chances are you'll be approved for a BCE. At this point, your credit file seems to fresh. It has nothing to do with elitism. Just plain common sense on Amex's part. With no negatives on your reports and more history you'll be approved. If you don't want a charge card, then don't get one. I wouldn't want one either. And this whole "foot in the door with Amex," I don't believe it. You can't switch to a CC from a charge, and the annual fee will be there with a charge card. Waiting a few more months and trying again is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of building solid credit history and adding cards you want.

The one recon I tried didn't work out, either (was with Chase, though). I am not much into reconning either. It is stressful. Some people on here are experts and I admire them for their tough approach. It's not for me, though. Keep building good credit and you'll quickly reach a point where YOU will be someone banks want to approve. Remember, it takes years, not just months.

Message 44 of 49
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Good find. How come it is not listed in View All section?

Dont know why it doesnt pull up but here is the link https://www295.americanexpress.com/cards/home.do?pmccode=105#CARDS/105/0/0/-1

Message 45 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wollepopolle wrote:

Wait a year and re-apply. Chances are you'll be approved for a BCE. At this point, your credit file seems to fresh. It has nothing to do with elitism. Just plain common sense on Amex's part. With no negatives on your reports and more history you'll be approved. If you don't want a charge card, then don't get one. I wouldn't want one either. And this whole "foot in the door with Amex," I don't believe it. You can't switch to a CC from a charge, and the annual fee will be there with a charge card. Waiting a few more months and trying again is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of building solid credit history and adding cards you want.

The one recon I tried didn't work out, either (was with Chase, though). I am not much into reconning either. It is stressful. Some people on here are experts and I admire them for their tough approach. It's not for me, though. Keep building good credit and you'll quickly reach a point where YOU will be someone banks want to approve. Remember, it takes years, not just months.

Honestly, Amex does seem like an elitist bank to me, which is part of their appeal to people. They're a status symbol, even if they're less so now than they used to be (especially considering they seem to let a lot of people in easily with the Zync).  Getting a Venture card from Cap One isn't easy either, but people place more symbolical value on even the worst of Amex cards over a Venture. It's all about perceptions, I guess.

One of my big motivators (beyond the obvious rewards) is that once I get an Amex card, I cant really 'upgrade' it. As long as I keep having subprime/AF/high APR/no rewards cards, I'm going to want to keep replacing them with something else, thus hurting my AAOA and adding inquiries. But with something like a BCE/BCP, there's no real 'upgrading' the card. It'll earn CLis over time, but that's about it. It's not a card I'd feel like I needed to replace.

Maybe around this time next year (or a bit sooner) I'll pull the trigger with them again. Until then, I'll just try to forget about Amex. I'm going to be doing enough inquiry-damage to myself when I try to go shopping for an auto loan in the next month or two, so I don't need to make things worse by adding extra inquiries from cards I won't get.

Message 46 of 49
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
One of my big motivators (beyond the obvious rewards) is that once I get an Amex card, I cant really 'upgrade' it. As long as I keep having subprime/AF/high APR/no rewards cards, I'm going to want to keep replacing them with something else, thus hurting my AAOA and adding inquiries. But with something like a BCE/BCP, there's no real 'upgrading' the card. It'll earn CLis over time, but that's about it. It's not a card I'd feel like I needed to replace.

Maybe around this time next year (or a bit sooner) I'll pull the trigger with them again. Until then, I'll just try to forget about Amex. I'm going to be doing enough inquiry-damage to myself when I try to go shopping for an auto loan in the next month or two, so I don't need to make things worse by adding extra inquiries from cards I won't get.

If you're serious about obtaining a BCE/BCP, Amex backdates... it's worth it from an AAoA perspective even if it's only a few years difference to get a Zync or another easier to obtain charge card before their revolver unless you believe you can easily qualify within a year; however, if you're still in the subprime/AF/etc cards, you're going to be replacing them eventually, and in the mid-term the backdating will be useful if not as much in the long-term. 

        
Message 47 of 49
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@wollepopolle wrote:

I originally opened my Zync card with the purpose of getting into AMEX revolver. I know that my credit file is fresh. I figured if I can get approved with BCE not only can it backdate but I can close the Zync card too. If AMEX denies me still, well I'll just have to pay AF (not that I can't afford it) and wait for next year.

Message 48 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

If you're serious about obtaining a BCE/BCP, Amex backdates... it's worth it from an AAoA perspective even if it's only a few years difference to get a Zync or another easier to obtain charge card before their revolver unless you believe you can easily qualify within a year; however, if you're still in the subprime/AF/etc cards, you're going to be replacing them eventually, and in the mid-term the backdating will be useful if not as much in the long-term. 

I thought about applying for a Zync, I might do that after I get a car loan. Don't want the extra inquiry right now, between Citi and Amex they already tagged me for 5 inquiries in the last month (Amex pulled all 3, Citi double-pulled EX).

The only real subprime cards I have left are a Cap One platinum card (only $19 AF, but it's my oldest card - but not by that much so it doesn't matter). I figure I'll be closing that account this year once I get something better to replace it with. And I have a BofA secured card, which.. I don't really know why I have it. I should just close it, but I'll wait until it graduates and see if it's worth keeping open.

Part of me wants to call the executive office again and see if I can get a manual review, but at the same time it just doesn't feel worth the effort. I guess I've hit a point where it feels like trying to recon is entirely pointless, since either I'll get approved right off the bat, or not approved at all.

Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.