Frequent Contributor
enxinas

Amex BCE v Chase Freedom (combo) v Discover IT...

[ Edited ]

v Sallie Mae MC for "main" card?

When I first saw tatterz post, I'm like this is my dream card! or is it?

I currently have Amex BCE and Discover IT (applied simultaneously to both recently) and Chase Freedom with a checking account, which is about a year old now.

I'm a just a fulltime college student with part time job. My plan is to not to use my car to save on gas, but I will be shopping for groceries a lot.

My current main card is the Chase Freedom, but I racked up too many purchases, and I'm trying to pay it down first until it is below 10% the CL.

That said, should I apply for the Sallie Mae MC card??

TU: 719 (Discover: 12/14)     EX: 718 (WF)      EQ: 755 (myFICO)
I am a gardener til 7/1/14 or beyond

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Re: Amex BCE v Chase Freedom (combo) v Discover IT...

enxinas wrote:

v Sallie Mae MC for "main" card?

When I first saw tatterz post, I'm like this is my dream card! or is it?

I currently have Amex BCE and Discover IT (applied simultaneously to both recently) and Chase Freedom with a checking account, which is about a year old now.

I'm a just a fulltime college student with part time job. My plan is to not to use my car to save on gas, but I will be shopping for groceries a lot.

My current main card is the Chase Freedom, but I racked up too many purchases, and I'm trying to pay it down first until it is below 10% the CL.

That said, should I apply for the Sallie Mae MC card??

That being said tell us more about INQ,s AAoA, Amount on cards now, Total credit limits across all cards:smileywink:

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Cap1 EO link below
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Capital+One+CEO+email+address+#seen
Last 5 apps 6/6/13
Frequent Contributor
b_seeker

What does your file look like? 

Inqs?

New accounts?

Income?

Utilization?

It's a Barclays backed card so the first two are important. TBH though, I would pay down your Freedom first. Don't want to get into CC debt troubles.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Super Contributor
longtimelurker

If your major spend is groceries, and is under $250 per month on that, then this card certainly makes sense.

But to my mind, "main" cards apply more when you are looking at miles-type stuff for some program such as UR/MR/TYP.   If cash-back is the major goal, then use the best card for each transaction, i.e. SallieMae for books/amazon and groceries, freedom for the 5% categories, and Discover for its categories (and ShopDiscover/UR Mall for online, whichever gives the best value).

Most active cards: Amex BC ($50K), Cap One QS ($33K) Fidelity Amex ($20K)
Others: CSP, Freedom, Chase Amazon, Cap One QS, Penfed Plat Rewards (x2), Citi TY Preferred, Citi Dividend, Citi AA Plat Select, Citi Forward, Amex BCE, Amalgamated Bank, Sallie Mae, Cash Plus
Scores May 14: EQ 848, EX 833, TU 841 (Jul)
Valued Member
grubs

People misunderstand this card. You have to spend a minimum of $250 a month to get the 5% not to mention you have to spend $750 a month minimum to get 5% on books.
Frequent Contributor
enxinas

[ Edited ]

2 new accounts, which is the Amex and Discover (just opened 2 wks ago at the same time).

I have about 1.4k on Freedom, pretty much nothing on Amex ($50), and $20 on Discover.

Forgot to mention that I have a balance of $800 on my WF card.

I had 3 inqueries (1 was when I was looking for a car about 3 wks ago), TU for Discover (740) and EX for Amex (737)

Income (including fin aid, grants, etc) is about 29k/yr

As for my CL, it's on my sig. :smileyvery-happy:

Utilization, not so sure. If my math is right, it is about 15%

AAoA:

WF is 6 years old, CC is about 2 years old, Chase is almost a year, BestBuy, I think 3 years, BCE and IT, 2wks lol

Frequent Contributor
enxinas

[ Edited ]

grubs wrote:
People misunderstand this card. You have to spend a minimum of $250 a month to get the 5% not to mention you have to spend $750 a month minimum to get 5% on books.

Is it? I thought that the cap for gas and groceries is $250, and $750 for "books" and after the cap, you'll be getting less than the advertised cash back..

"5% gasoline category rewards are earned on the first $250 net purchases made per monthly billing cycle at eligible gas stations and service stations. 5% groceries category rewards are earned on the first $250 net purchases made per monthly billing cycle at eligible grocery stores and super markets. 5% books category rewards are earned on the first $750 net purchases made per monthly billing cycle at eligible book stores. After that, for net monthly purchases made in each of these categories in excess of the dollar amounts specified (gasoline, groceries, and books) you will earn the base reward amount of 1%."

source: https://www.salliemae.com/landing/WorldCreditCard/

Established Contributor
Tazman81

Enxinas, your interpretation of the cash back for the SM card is correct. You get bonus cash back UP to that amount and then you get the lower cashback after that amount.

Starting Score: Eq: 662 Tu: 532 (03/02/2011) CH7BK 01/12/2009 Discharge
Current Score: Eq: 692 (04/03/2013) Tu: 717 (04/03/2013)
Goal Score: Eq: 720 Tu: 740

Wallet: Chartway Visa 10k | AMEX Costco TE (AU) 25k | Cap One MC 750 | Cap One Visa 750
Frequent Contributor
b_seeker

grubs wrote:

Why would you think this? Nothing on the website sugguests this to me. Do you have the card? 

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Super Contributor
enharu

enxinas wrote:

2 new accounts, which is the Amex and Discover (just opened 2 wks ago at the same time).

I have about 1.4k on Freedom, pretty much nothing on Amex ($50), and $20 on Discover.

Forgot to mention that I have a balance of $800 on my WF card.

I had 3 inqueries (1 was when I was looking for a car about 3 wks ago), TU for Discover (740) and EX for Amex (737)

Income (including fin aid, grants, etc) is about 29k/yr

As for my CL, it's on my sig. :smileyvery-happy:

Utilization, not so sure. If my math is right, it is about 15%

AAoA:

WF is 6 years old, CC is about 2 years old, Chase is almost a year, BestBuy, I think 3 years, BCE and IT, 2wks lol

Uh, don't think financial aid is considered as income.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+