Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCE, worth it?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex BCE, worth it?

@bluescale wrote:

Can the BCP be PCd to the BCE after a year?  That way you get the bigger signup bonus, but can avoid the second AF.

after 13 months you can PC Downgrade and Amex will pro-rate any AF back to you if not just give you the whole thing.

Message 11 of 16
bman86
Regular Contributor

What about the other way around if you have the BCE and you PC to the BCP?

Message 12 of 16
techiegirl
Regular Contributor

I had a BCE for many years and  most recently just PC'd to the BCP.  I had no trouble doing it over the phone and was assured it will not require a HP.  We spend $200/week on groceries, so I'm sure we'll get our AF back.

FICO: EQ - 809 TU- 808 EX - 797
Message 13 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@techiegirl wrote:

I had a BCE for many years and  most recently just PC'd to the BCP.  I had no trouble doing it over the phone and was assured it will not require a HP.  We spend $200/week on groceries, so I'm sure we'll get our AF back.

Yes, but you will also exceed the $6K cap.   Do you have cards good for groceries once the cap is reached?  (e.g. Citi TY from a branch, 5% off groceries, gas and drug stores for a year, with no cap)?

Message 14 of 16
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Thank you all very much!
Message 15 of 16
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

BUT.... that spending can include gift cards to lots of other places (assuming you have a big enough supermarket near you).   So if you spend $2,500 a year in groceries PLUS places where you can use the gift cards (which really is nearly everyone!)  BCP is better.

+1

For the overwhelming majority, the BCP is the better option, especially with the $250 sign-up bonus from creditcards dot com.  

1.  Even with $75 fee, you net $175. 

2.  In addition, you get 6%, along with higher gas and dept store the entire year.  

After the first year, for the very few who can't "make-up" $2,500 in supermarket spending (even with amazon, gas, visa/mc, restaurant GCs), then PC to the no fee BCE. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.