Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCE

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex BCE

@Anonymous wrote:

Me: I have 2.6 years of credit history / sub 40% utilization / no derog's or anything of that sort // scores below:

We can't tell you the speciifcs of Discover's underwriting criteria.

However, it sounds like you're overestimating the impact of AAoA.  Keep this in mind:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Revolving utilization falls under Amounts Owed at 30%.  AAoA falls under Length of Credit History at 15%.

40% is well above the generally recommended 30% max.  Ideal utilization is much lower.

@Anonymous wrote:

Tried going for the BCE last year and same thing..

I can't figure out what it is & I've heard calling in for a recon w/ Amex can be a PITA..

If you were denied then use the denial reason(s) as a starting point.

It's not that recon with AmEx is a PITA.  It's that AmEx generally won't recon unless there was a mistake on your report.

@Anonymous wrote:

Searching around the forum, I see everyone talking about getting their foot in the door into the Amex door w/ the Zync (?) although I don't see that anymore..

Always consider your sources including the date of the information.  Zync is long gone.  No need to "get your foot in the door".  Either your credit profile and income qualify or they do not.

@Anonymous wrote:

Probably 4 months now.. Should I be at 0 before I try again ?

You generally want your credit in the best possible shape when you apply.  Your credit and your income not only determine whether or not you're approved but the limit, APR, etc as well.  CLI's are based on your credit and income as well.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Me: I have 2.6 years of credit history / sub 40% utilization / no derog's or anything of that sort // scores below:

However, it sounds like you're overestimating the impact of AAoA.  Keep this in mind:

Revolving utilization falls under Amounts Owed at 30%.  AAoA falls under Length of Credit History at 15%.

40% is well above the generally recommended 30% max.  Ideal utilization is much lower.

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't figure out what it is & I've heard calling in for a recon w/ Amex can be a PITA..

It's not that recon with AmEx is a PITA.  It's that AmEx generally won't recon unless there was a mistake on your report.

@Anonymous wrote:

Searching around the forum, I see everyone talking about getting their foot in the door into the Amex door w/ the Zync (?) although I don't see that anymore..

Always consider your sources including the date of the information.  Zync is long gone.  No need to "get your foot in the door".  Either your credit profile and income qualify or they do not.

@Anonymous wrote:

You generally want your credit in the best possible shape when you apply.  Your credit and your income not only determine whether or not you're approved but the limit, APR, etc as well.  CLI's are based on your credit and income as well.

And here I was thinking i should get the AMEX Delta to get my foot in the door for the AMEX PRG.  After careful consideration, i'm just going to make sure im good to go on my CR and just apply directly for the PRG, which is the only card I want from AMEX Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And here I was thinking i should get the AMEX Delta to get my foot in the door for the AMEX PRG.  After careful consideration, i'm just going to make sure im good to go on my CR and just apply directly for the PRG, which is the only card I want from AMEX Smiley Happy

I don't know there was any evidence for the "foot in the door" idea, leading to issues when people couldn't PC to the right card etc.    With Amex and backdating, there was a slight reason to get whatever AMex you could as early as you could, but with backdating dead, that isn't the case anymore

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know there was any evidence for the "foot in the door" idea, leading to issues when people couldn't PC to the right card etc.    With Amex and backdating, there was a slight reason to get whatever AMex you could as early as you could, but with backdating dead, that isn't the case anymore

Yup...I read about the "food in the door" a lot.  I honestly dont want to have so many CCs that i wont use or dont need.  Everything I have now i do use and will use the PRG as well.  That will be my last card and i'm done CCs.  My CR should be good to apply for it in Jan or Feb, just playing the waiting game.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.