Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCP CLI $5k ---> $15k!

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Amex BCP CLI $5k ---> $15k!

Some background:  I received the Amex Blue card in Nov. 2010 and now have a $10k limit.  I received the Clear in Jan. 2011 and now have an $8500 limit.  I received the BCP in May 2011 and only received a $5k limit.  Ever since receiving this card I pretty much dropped the other 2 and rarely use them at all (which was frustrating because they had the higher limits!).  I was waiting until this upcoming May to transfer the CLs to the BCP and then close them up (at least that's what the rep said I would have to do).  Anyway, just called for a CLI on the automated system and asked for 3x the limit (that I always read on here!) and was instantly approved for the $15k!  I'm pretty excited as this, honestly, is the highest CL I've ever had and this happens to be my "go to" card!

Question:  Who decided 3x your CL is the max you can ask/get?  Does Amex state that somewhere or have they told people that?  Or have people just not been approved for anything over 3x?  A curious mind wants to know!  Anyone want to be a guinea pig - ask for 4x the limit or even 3.1x? Smiley Very Happy

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Re: Amex BCP CLI $5k ---> $15k!

Congrats on the increase!!  Just got my BCP card in the mail today... it's purty! Smiley Tongue Not sure who set the 3x increase limit for CLIs with Amex but it seems from other's experiences that has been the acceptable threshold.  I have only requested 2x CLI (6-12k) on my Costco card which I got last June.  I probably will wait til my BCP is 61 days old and ask for 20k on it (9.2k now) and call it a day.  I've been very happy with Amex and have shown it by using their cards every chance I get.  I'm sure others will agree.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 2 of 30
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

@jefftca925 wrote:

Congrats on the increase!!  Just got my BCP card in the mail today... it's purty! Smiley Tongue Not sure who set the 3x increase limit for CLIs with Amex but it seems from other's experiences that has been the acceptable threshold.  I have only requested 2x CLI (6-12k) on my Costco card which I got last June.  I probably will wait til my BCP is 61 days old and ask for 20k on it (9.2k now) and call it a day.  I've been very happy with Amex and have shown it by using their cards every chance I get.  I'm sure others will agree.

I was approved for BCP last Sunday, so I will be requesting 9k in 61 days!

@jefftca925 when were you approved for the new card? I still have not received mine Smiley Mad

Message 3 of 30
CS800
Super Contributor

@nada9188 wrote:

@jefftca925 wrote:

@jefftca925 when were you approved for the new card? I still have not received mine Smiley Mad

First of all, congrats OP.

nada, is your current CL $3000 on the BCP?

I just got a BCE so the 61 day rule probably works the same.

Message 4 of 30
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@nada9188 wrote:

@jefftca925 wrote:

First of all, congrats OP.

nada, is your current CL $3000 on the BCP?

I just got a BCE so the 61 day rule probably works the same.

Yes I was told over the phone that my approved limit is $3k, sorry I completely forgot to clarify that. 

Message 5 of 30
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@nada9188 wrote:

@jefftca925 wrote:

I app'd on Wed 11/24 (instant approval) and got my card today (a week more or less with the holiday).  You might get yours on Saturday.  Amex usually delivers cards pretty quickly.  You can also activate the card online which I absolutely LOVE!!  I hate having to call in to activate and getting hammered by a CSR to buy credit insurance...grrrr Smiley Mad

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 6 of 30
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

@jefftca925 wrote:

@nada9188 wrote:

@jefftca925 wrote:

I app'd on Wed 11/24 (instant approval) and got my card today (a week more or less with the holiday).  You might get yours on Saturday.  Amex usually delivers cards pretty quickly.  You can also activate the card online which I absolutely LOVE!!  I hate having to call in to activate and getting hammered by a CSR to buy credit insurance...grrrr Smiley Mad

That's a good point about the insurance. When I first activated my Discover card I could not believe how much I was being hustled to purchase whatever they were offereing me. When I declined she said, "May I ask why?" Just seemed like a bad way to start the relationship.

My app was an instant approval on Sunday, but just a few minutes ago I received the approval email stating 7-10 days.. Kinda weird IMO

Message 7 of 30
jefftca925
Established Contributor

That's a good point about the insurance. When I first activated my Discover card I could not believe how much I was being hustled to purchase whatever they were offereing me. When I declined she said, "May I ask why?" Just seemed like a bad way to start the relationship.

My app was an instant approval on Sunday, but just a few minutes ago I received the approval email stating 7-10 days.. Kinda weird IMO

I had to call in a payment to AT&T a couple of months ago (my auto pay info had the wrong acct number) and the payment CSR hustled me on their TV service and I couldn't make him STOP!!  I finally hung up on the dude.  It was the worst experience I had ever had tryin to get an issue resolved that was totally unrelated to what I was calling about.  these companies need to train their CSRs to listen to their customers and realize when someone says "no" they mean "NO!"

Message 8 of 30
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

Amen.

Message 9 of 30
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congrats on all of the BCP CCs!

What kind of scores do you guys have who are getting approved do for this cc?

Re CCCs selling to you, I had that in a big way from Cap One! It was very irritating. They were definitely high-pressured and would not take no for an answer!
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.