Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCP CLI vs Platinum Spending Power

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex BCP CLI vs Platinum Spending Power

@Creditdreamer wrote:

Thank you guys all so much for the input! I also have a small update.

So yesterday I charged another $1700 on the card bringing my total balance (but only $1900 posted so far) to around $3600. I then went to charge another $4500 on the card and it declined. Spending power link wasn't working because I had maxed it out for the day playing with it. Contacted chat online. They told me my card was with the fraud verification department. I contacted them and they verified me then told me that my card had been declined because while NPSL cards don't have a preset limit, that does not mean they are unlimited spending etc. He then told me that my internal limit was $5800. So the $4500 charge would put me over that. He said that if I made a payment with him over the phone for the full balance ($3600, not the posted $1900) then he would be able to credit it to my account right away and my $4500 charge would go through and that it would also look good for Amex to see that, as far as potentially raising my internal limit. So I made the payment and then tried my $4500 charge again and it went through. Score. I rarely have this many purchases in a month but it just happened to work out that way this month.

I have another question. As far as the Platinum goes, I love it for all the bonuses like Uber etc etc but the only thing is that mentally I have a hard time using it when I am getting essentially 2% cashback on my Venture card (with annual fee). Does anyone have any advice on membership rewards points? I am very new to the points game and all the transfers etc. We want to go somewhere around Christmas and I want to get the most bang for my buck. Usually we fly Southwest because of the free bags. Though could fly elsewhere now because of the airline incidental reimbursement. Advice????

Congrats on finding out your current internal limit and being able to get your charge through!  MR points can be difficult to get more than 1 cent per point value without some legwork, which isn't always worth the time in everyone's case.  I personally transfer them to Starwood (then to Marriott) and get just under 2 cents per point because of the manner in which I redeem them.  MRs are not directly transferable to Southwest, unfortunately.  You could transfer MR to SPG, then SPG to Marriott, then Marriott to Southwest - but in the end, the best-case scenario is only about 1/2 cent per MR doing that.  A suitable use if you just had some MRs lying around that you had no other use for, but otherwise not a good strategy.  For making use of Membership Rewards for travel partners, the FlyerTalk board would likely give you much more information.

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.