cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCP -What are my chances of approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex BCP -What are my chances of approval?

Currently my scores are all in the 670's (Fico). I have no inquiries on my experian report and 2 late payments from early 2014 (card closed now). 1 collection from sprint in 2015 that was paid off ($350). Utilization is around 50%.

My question is, if I am able to lower my utilization to <30%, and remove the paid collection (have written pay for delete statement from sprint) do you think I could qualify for the Blue Cash Preferred? I have no prior relationship with Amex, and pre-qual says I qualify for BCE. I would prefer the BCP however, as I spend a ton in gas & groceries every month.

Should I wait a bit before applying for the BCP, or try for the BCE and hope they'll pc me to the BCP in time? Any thoughts or suggestions? Appreciate it!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex BCP -What are my chances of approval?

My personal experience with Amex is that they're usually pretty hungry for new customers with no prior relationship; I got approved for a PRG and a BCP at ~670 EXP myself. In fact, I suspect they'd rather have more BCP than BCE customers, since the annual fee is a reliable revenue stream. If I was in your shoes, I'd apply today, although it doesn't wait to hurt if you absolutely wanted to be sure you don't waste a hard pull.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

In time for what? What's the big rush? Collection removal is something that has the potential for big gains, instead of risking denials or bucketed limit approvals, I would wait until the removal is reflected on the CRAs.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
In time for what? What's the big rush? Collection removal is something that has the potential for big gains, instead of risking denials or bucketed limit approvals, I would wait until the removal is reflected on the CRAs.

I conquer with the oldman. Wait til the removal reflects on the CRA's. Then you will most likely be approved with a better starting line. With 50% utilization with the collection gone you may get $500-$1000 starting line.

Applying for anything with utilization running over 30% is risking declines and low SL's.

Just my two cents.

Message 4 of 14
AppHappyTog
Regular Contributor

I'd wait to app until that collection is off and utilization is down. You would likely be approved if you went ahead and applied, but as other posters pointed out- it could mean a potential low SL. I didn't get any amex prequalifications until I hit 670's and then I waited a little longer until my utilization came down a bit and my other accounts got a little older... still got a $500 sl on the BCE and about 8 weeks later got an SPG with a $1k limit.

If just getting in is more important than the potential higher cl, then go ahead and app. You've probably got good odds of getting the BCP.

Current Scores 4/18: EQ8 645/EQ9 686/TU 664/EX 682
Starting Scores 10/17: EQ 590 /TU 592/EX 560
AAoA: 3y6mo
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all of the responses! I guess I'll go ahead and hold off just a bit longer.

Oldman -there is no rush, other than the fact that I'm impatient lol. I was simply wondering if they would pc me to the BCP in the future.

Thanks again to everyone who responded! It's taken me three years to go from low 400's to 670's, guess I can wait a bit longer😁
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are prequalified for BCE why not just App for that?  Unless your income is very low I think you should be good to go with prequalify.   

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My income is just shy of $40,000 -so not great.

Here's the thing though... On Wednesday I opened a 2nd checking account strictly to pay bills and my credit union hp'd TU! I was so mad. I've been with them for 7 years and have several accounts. And this was after being told it would be a sp. I called them and they would not remove/repress the hp, however they told me I could go ahead and apply for a loan or cc so that the hp was not for nothing. I went ahead and applied for a 1.5% cash back card and was approved for $3000 with 13.5% apr.

I guess my new question is how long should I wait to apply for the BCP now that I have a brand new account?
Message 8 of 14
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

3 months minimum, six preferably 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gregory1776 wrote:

3 months minimum, six preferably 

What I was going to say too. Even if prequalify they like 6+ months history and unless I'm reading your post wrong it doesn't look like you have anything current?  I held out with Crap1 for 6+ months even though I was prequaliified. I don't think which card matters. I first qualified for Blue Cash and then after a few months they were pushing their other cards and it wasn't an prequalify option anymore but I went for it anyway. Not sure if BCP is a harder card to get in general though.

If you do have credit cards already and can knock the utilization down quickly, you could still apply before the new account shows on your reports.

I somewhat regret not going for the BCP so good choice if you come up with the prequalify by look for an offer on Credit Karma or something so they waive the yearly fee or get a bonus.

Stores like Walmart and Target or whole sale clubs like BJs don't count for the gas and grocery though. It's only 1% if the gas station is attached to a chain/grocery store like BJ's Gas. Some people get disapointed because that is where they do most of their grocery shopping.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.