Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCP and Hilton HHonors Surpass....

tag
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Amex BCP and Hilton HHonors Surpass....

So, last week, I bit the bullet and apped for the Amex Hilton Surpass card (to take advantage of Hilton Gold status for upcoming Hawaii trip), and to my surprise, was approved for 7K.

I also apped for the BCP immediately afterwards.  I wanted to, hopefully, take advantage of the '2 apps for 1 hard pull' trick.  Well, i got a message asking to call in.  When I did, the rep told me that because i apped so closely together, the system took it as a duplicate app for the Hilton Surpass card.  I would have to wait approx 4 days for someone to review it manually.

I just knew I would be denied.  Lo and behold, I got a call from Amex today telling me that I was approved for 8.5K.  It took me at least 30 secs to register what she was telling me...I was just that shocked.

I asked the rep if she had to repull my credit.  She told me that although they rescore with every app, it only shows as 1 hard pull if you app for multiple cards within a 30-day time frame.  I thought that was interesting info to pass on.

I currently use my Amex Green card for all of my bill payments and daily expenses, but now that I've gotten approved the for the BCP, I plan to close my Green after the statement closes and transfer all of my daily expenses and bills to the BCP.  Once my year is up with the Hilton Surpass card, I plan to PC down to the regular Hilton card and sock-drawer it.  Then, I will use my Freedom/Discover IT cards for rotating categories and BCP for everything else.

My Experian FICO score last week at the time of Hilton Surpass approval was 693.  My Experian FICO score today used for BCP approval was 699.  I get both cards backdated to 2004.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex BCP and Hilton HHonors Surpass....

Message 2 of 4
winner88
Contributor

Congratulations! 

Those are huge starting Limit for your FICO score.. If you dont mind me asking, what income did you state?

EQ 772
TU 764
Message 3 of 4
HiLine
Blogger

Congratulations! Those are nice cards with fantastic credit limits!!!

@frugalQ wrote:

I asked the rep if she had to repull my credit.  She told me that although they rescore with every app, it only shows as 1 hard pull if you app for multiple cards within a 30-day time frame.  I thought that was interesting info to pass on.

I wouldn't necessarily count on that. A Chase banker has told me the same thing, and lo and behold, 2 inquiries, 25 days apart. Smiley Mad Admittedly, I was young and innocent. I know better now. Whether 2 inquiries will be combined into 1 is the CRA's decision, and typically they don't combine inquiries as a result of credit card applications unless they fall on the same day.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.