cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCP blue cash preferred (need advice)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex BCP blue cash preferred (need advice)

I just today received a free no annual fee offer to upgrade from BCE to BCP.  I decided to upgrade as it has a 0% annual fee offer for the first year. I wanted to ask if anyone has done the same and downgraded prior to the year being up, and if you've done so does AMEX still charge you the annual fee?  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex BCP blue cash preferred (need advice)

Amex's policy is if you downgrade within 30 days *after* the annual fee hits, they'll fully refund the fee. I actually had a BCP then after year 1 when the annual fee hit, within a couple days I called them up and told them I wanted to downgrade and asked to get the fee reimbursed, they downgraded me to the BCE and refunded my annual fee without issue.

Apparently it looks bad to them if you try to change it before the annual fee hits, so I recommend waiting for the fee to drop.
Message 2 of 7
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Congrats on getting that offer! 

I could be wrong, but if you downgrade, then I don’t think they charge you the AF. 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, AMEX CS is generally really good about cancellations and never really give you a hard time. Even with store cards, cancellation was always a breeze for me.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for your reply!  I will take your advice and wait the year out for the AF to drop then cancel!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice !

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for your advice, I am going to wait the year out then cancel!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.