Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Back Dating - weird

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Amex Back Dating - weird

So I stand corrected.  I thought the backdating meant that the membership portion would be backdated, not the line of credit, but I was wrong!  Not only was I wrong, I was pleasantly surprised to see it.  The weird part is the backdating is even further back than my original credit card account!  It is backdated to my Debit card account.  I got my debit card from them in March of last year and my credit card in May.  When I pulled my report today it said March, so I won't complain about that!  The other Amex I have says May.  I hope this will boost my AAoA enough so that I can maybe get that Sallae Mae card and Citi Dividend card a little sooner.  (Still thinking next year though!)

So thanks Amex!

You know what this means for others?  It means that if you don't think you can qualify for an Amex now, get the Debit card.  Get the history with them and you too might benefit like I did when you do qualify for a card with them.  Funny thing is I have never used the Debit card and the money is just sitting there.  I opened it because I had read here that if you had a debit card with them it could become easier to get a credit card with them.  I don't know if it is true or not, I might have still qualified for the credit card, but it certainly is helping with the new card.   I guess next year I will have to open another card with them and boost my AAoA even further. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
kchengg1
Contributor

Re: Amex Back Dating - weird

Amex has a debit card? Are you talking about Serve?

Last App: 7/1/2016
AMEX PLATINUM (NPSL) | AMEX EveryDay Preferred | SPG Personal & Biz | Amex Everyday | Citi AAExecutive| Citi AA Plat | Citi Prestige | Citi Thank You Premier | DISCOVER IT | BOFA Cash Rewards Visa Signature | Alaska Personal & Biz | Amex Plat Biz | Amex Biz Gold
Message 2 of 16
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

They have a few.  I have the Amex Prepaid, not the serve card.  I think they are all basicially the same. 

Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 16
kchengg1
Contributor

So to get this right, you backdated to your prepaid card? Sounds fishy.

AMEX PLATINUM (NPSL) | AMEX EveryDay Preferred | SPG Personal & Biz | Amex Everyday | Citi AAExecutive| Citi AA Plat | Citi Prestige | Citi Thank You Premier | DISCOVER IT | BOFA Cash Rewards Visa Signature | Alaska Personal & Biz | Amex Plat Biz | Amex Biz Gold
Message 4 of 16
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

The backdate uses your month (and day, on some CRs) of application for the new card and the year of the original credit card.

For example, I got my AMEX on March 4th, 2014.   I had an AMEX back in 1998 when I was in college.   So my new CC reports as March 4th, 1998 on my CRs, even though my original card was not opened in March of 1998. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 16
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@kchengg1 wrote:
So to get this right, you backdated to your prepaid card? Sounds fishy.

Well even if it sounds fishy, that is what happened.  I had no control over it, I simply noticed it when I checked my credit report yesterday.  I almost didn't catch it.  I first noticed the month was 03 and then I looked at the year.  I was like that was kewl, then I looked at the year of the other card and then the month.  I did a double take on that.

Message 6 of 16
kchengg1
Contributor

Lucky you then! Wish I was in your shoes.

I confirmed with AMEX via @ASKAMEX twitter account that those who have serve accounts older than their credit cards cannot backdate to their serve accounts.

Message 7 of 16
Josh2942
Established Contributor

They have bluebird checking

Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 8 of 16
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@kchengg1 wrote:
Lucky you then! Wish I was in your shoes.

@I confirmed with AMEX via @ASKAMEX twitter account that those who have serve accounts older than their credit cards cannot backdate to their serve accounts.

I guess I did get lucky then, maybe a glitch?  I also noticed that on CK for my sister who is an authorized user that it says the date is 3-14 for the account being opened.  Which is kinda weird since she is a AU on my other Amex too.

Message 9 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

So I stand corrected.  I thought the backdating meant that the membership portion would be backdated, not the line of credit, but I was wrong!  Not only was I wrong, I was pleasantly surprised to see it.  The weird part is the backdating is even further back than my original credit card account!  It is backdated to my Debit card account.  I got my debit card from them in March of last year and my credit card in May.  When I pulled my report today it said March, so I won't complain about that!  The other Amex I have says May.

That's unusual.  The year is backdated.  The month is based on the month you apply.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.