Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Backdate/Credit Karma

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Amex Backdate/Credit Karma

Hi, question about backdating again.

I saw what I thought was strange behavior on Credit Karma, and I can't yet get my next free annual credit report to see if this is real or an artifact of how CK works....

I have an Amex card that had both a CLI and a backdate.  Today, CK reports:

You have had 1 new account added to your credit report. 

and lists AMEX, Opened Feb 15, 1987, CL 28K

It then also says:

The limits on 2 of your credit cards have changed.

and lists

AMEX Old CL 25K, New CL N/A

AMEX Old CL N/A New CL 28K

I had assumed that the date of the account would change, not that one would be closed and a new one appears to be open (which devalues the benefit of backdating).

So, is this just because CK is confused, or will the real credit report show this as well.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Backdate/Credit Karma

My bet is that CK notifications are just confusing the issue. Your account number didn't change so your credit report will simply reflect the new date and credit line, not an old closed account and a new account.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 5
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Yes, I suspect you are right, especially as I didn't get an "Account closed" notification from CK which is what normally happens when I do close an account.

But still a little unsure about exactly how Amex works.  When I opened my BCP in Feb 2012 they closed my unused BSP from 2007.  They both appear on my credit report, one closed, one open, both showing as opened in 2007.  Now the BCP will show as Feb 1987, presumably the BSP will still keep 2007.  Nice if that changed as well!

Seems that two of Amex's advantages should annoy other lenders.  Backdating is one, but can easily be detected. However, treating denied applications for additional cards as SP seems to deny other lenders info they may want, that this user is searching for additional credit.   Wonder why they can do this.....

Message 3 of 5
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Although I am not an AMEX member I suspect that the soft pull denials are another of their "member benefits". It would be interesting to see if AMEX could change the member date on a closed card for credit reporting. I would call them and ask or e-mail their member assistance team. Adding twenty years to another account on your credit report would be worth spending a few minutes of time.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 5
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

Hi, question about backdating again.

I saw what I thought was strange behavior on Credit Karma, and I can't yet get my next free annual credit report to see if this is real or an artifact of how CK works....

I have an Amex card that had both a CLI and a backdate.  Today, CK reports:

You have had 1 new account added to your credit report. 

and lists AMEX, Opened Feb 15, 1987, CL 28K

It then also says:

The limits on 2 of your credit cards have changed.

and lists

AMEX Old CL 25K, New CL N/A

AMEX Old CL N/A New CL 28K

I had assumed that the date of the account would change, not that one would be closed and a new one appears to be open (which devalues the benefit of backdating).

So, is this just because CK is confused, or will the real credit report show this as well.

That's just how CK works, it's kind of confusing.  I see it a lot.  It's the same account for the "2" it's referencing.   Funny thing is, my NFCU accounts on CK do that ALL the time, yet they never make it to the "My Accounts' page.  Could be how NFCU reports to TU and it screws up the timing or something with how CK reads it.   On EX direct, my NFCU account remain consistent.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.