Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Backdating Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Backdating Advice

Looking for some advice based on my situation:

I am 22 years old with a very good but limited credit history. Something only time can fix. I have one card thats 2+ years old and an AMEX Zync that is 13 months old (plus loans, etc.). Today I just applied and was approved for the Premier Gold AMEX with 25K bonus. My question is should I backdate my new AMEX Gold to my Zyncs opening date AND keep the Zync card open, cancel all packs on the card, pay the base 25 AF, and use it sparingly to maintain my account age/credit history... or should I just backdate the AMEX Gold to my Zync opening date and close the Zync card? 

What are the pros and cons of both options?

Thanks in advance for the advice! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Backdating Advice

Strip the zync down to $25 and keep it open. It will be better in the long run.
Message 2 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

No reason to keep zync open just for aaoa. Zync will stay on credit report for 10 years after being closed. Gold will almost certainly be auto backdated. This great thing about new Amex. In future consider January for max backdating
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crashem wrote:
No reason to keep zync open just for aaoa. Zync will stay on credit report for 10 years after being closed. Gold will almost certainly be auto backdated. This great thing about new Amex. In future consider January for max backdating

Yes I heard about January and wish the timing wouldve worked out that way. In this case though with the 25K points offer and my Zync card just reaching 1 year, I appd now. If I decide to open another AMEX down the road I will definitely take advantage of that advice.

Message 4 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Another option: keep the Zync as is and link your points together, which might happen automagically.

Zync has faster rewards earning than higher level charge cards for anything that falls into it's bonus categories, and since it can be linked MRE -> MR with the higher charge card, there's no reason not to use it as a rewards accelerator if you care about the points at all.

        
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

Another option: keep the Zync as is and link your points together, which might happen automagically.

Zync has faster rewards earning than higher level charge cards for anything that falls into it's bonus categories, and since it can be linked MRE -> MR with the higher charge card, there's no reason not to use it as a rewards accelerator if you care about the points at all.

I could do that for some categories and use the Zync when it makes sense. 

I cancelled all packs on the card that cost money for now. 

Im just trying to figure out which method is best for my credit I guess.

Message 6 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Given how amex backdates, it doesn't really matter if you close Amex and open new one in future. All new Amex have same open year. As such, if you don't need zync, close it. Additionally, close cards continue on your report for 10 years.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

+2

I have communication pack used to pay Cellphone and Cable bill, I earn an extra 400 ( not including the first 1 percent that other cards would earn) points a month or about $4 in resturant gift cards over and above what i would get off any other AMEX card. At $15 for the zync communication pack it pays for it self in 4 months. or the AF + Communication pack in 10 months. The Eco pack (free) gets me 2x points at whole foods, no I don't shop there frequently but its a nice way to spend a morning with the wife and get a few food products that aren't availible anywhere else. Gotta love credit cards that end up paying to use them, and I love doing things that makes AMEX happier and earns me money. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.