Contributor

Re: Amex Backdating Question

@09Lexie wrote:

@vygotsky wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@OhioCPA wrote:

@vygotsky wrote:

@JeffM wrote:

Yep. That's how it works. Nice job locking in that 2013 MSD!

Thank you! So would it be a good move to close the Amex Blue and get a BCE in January for a better AAoA? And will it require a HP?

Your AAoA won't change with the closure of the Blue. I wouldn't close it until you apply for the BCE. The application for the BCE will likely only be a HP if approved. Amex generally doesn't do a HP if they decline the application for an existing customer.

+1

Have you looked into the BCP?

I saw the BCP but I am not too excited about the 75$ AF. Would rather get American Express® Senior Gold Card for 55$ AF.

It really depends on why you are adding the card to your portfolio. A charge card CS vs a revolver; a cashback card vs a travel card etc. 

I was really only looking for the backdating to improve my AAoA since I dont have many cards, and my oldest card is 6 months old Smiley Tongue so taking away the 1 month old Blue for a 12 month old non-AF card would be superb.

FICO 733 (Discover)
Message 11 of 13
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@OhioCPA wrote:

@vygotsky wrote:

@JeffM wrote:

Yep. That's how it works. Nice job locking in that 2013 MSD!

Thank you! So would it be a good move to close the Amex Blue and get a BCE in January for a better AAoA? And will it require a HP?

Your AAoA won't change with the closure of the Blue. I wouldn't close it until you apply for the BCE. The application for the BCE will likely only be a HP if approved. Amex generally doesn't do a HP if they decline the application for an existing customer.

+1

Have you looked into the BCP?

Lexie

the OP is not eligible to PC to the BCP card because the credit reform act doesn't allow card holders to go from a $0 AF card to a non $0 AF card for a year. Though AMEX web site will give him the option to upgrade, the upgrade will fail, I tried,  saw the upgrade offer for first 12 months of my blue card's existance, finally after the first year I took the offer and it succeded

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 12 of 13
vygotsky
Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

Personally I wouldn't close any card this soon after you got it, especially with AMEX, they like things to happen smoothly with new  members. If you want the boost your AAoA you can apply for an AMEX PRG (preffered rewards gold) in january AF waived for the first year. You can  PC your blue card to BCE, both have $0 AF. After a year you can close the PRG if you can't justify the AF, and you end up with basicly the same results for the next ten years at least and you have strenghtened your relationship with AMEX by having both a revolver and a charge card.

Doing that will make the PRG my oldest card which I would hate to close then.

FICO 733 (Discover)
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.