Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Backdating Success - YMMV

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Backdating Success - YMMV

So I'm an authorized user on an old Amex card from the 90s. My old member since date was 2012, because I just got added as an AU this month. I called a few times and it really depends on the person you're talking to, if they're going to allow this or not. I believe that calling during the night-shift would be better since the daytime staff are more prone to reject this backdating. I finally got it to work and now it's member since the late 90s. Awesome!

Here are some tips: 

1) Get the primary cardholder to call

2) Call during the night-time

3) I don't think getting a supervisor would help. If the rep says no, try again and there going to be a rep that will say yes. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
LilNYC
New Contributor

Re: Amex Backdating Success - YMMV

Are you sure it's that way on your credit reports? There have been others on this site who've said that they've been able to get the  "member since" date on their cards backdated but not necessarily reported to the CB that way.

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 2 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:

Are you sure it's that way on your credit reports? There have been others on this site who've said that they've been able to get the  "member since" date on their cards backdated but not necessarily reported to the CB that way.

+1 my wife got her au platinum member date changed in similar situation to op.   However the au platinum reports 2011 when she got added on my platinum.  On the positive side, her Amexes where she is the primary report her member since date as open date.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that's actually exactly what I was hoping for. I couldn't care less about the AU card. I am currently loving the Chase cards (and gardening) - all as the primary cardholder. I just want to lock in the member since date as they make it harder to do in the future. And hopefully, in the future, I will get an Amex once they revamp their card selection (they can't compare to Chase right now). 

Message 4 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, that's actually exactly what I was hoping for. I couldn't care less about the AU card. I am currently loving the Chase cards (and gardening) - all as the primary cardholder. I just want to lock in the member since date as they make it harder to do in the future. And hopefully, in the future, I will get an Amex once they revamp their card selection (they can't compare to Chase right now). 

Amex gets your aaoa which is worth its weight in gold.  If your credit scores are good enough, just go for one of their no af cards.  If score is marginal, just got for zync.  Once you get card, you will likely have to call and have them change member date on that card too, to truly lock in member date if it is your first Amex in your own name.  You don't want to lose out on backdating because of some further change to policy.  Plus, the blue cash cards are among best and easily conpetitive if not better than most/all chase cards from rewards perspective.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crashem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex gets your aaoa which is worth its weight in gold.  If your credit scores are good enough, just go for one of their no af cards.  If score is marginal, just got for zync.  Once you get card, you will likely have to call and have them change member date on that card too, to truly lock in member date if it is your first Amex in your own name.  You don't want to lose out on backdating because of some further change to policy.  Plus, the blue cash cards are among best and easily conpetitive if not better than most/all chase cards from rewards perspective.

Awesome Advice. I applied for the SPG card and got approved. I called the recon line immediately and made sure the member since date is correct. He was really confused at how I got an AU American Express when I was 6 years old. I told him not to worry about it. 

SPG is great for the signup bonus but I doubt I will use it regularly since its pretty bad rewards compared to Chase. I am planning to PC to another card (with no AF) once I get the signup bonus.

Message 6 of 8
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

What is YMMV?

Message 7 of 8
awal
Regular Contributor

YMMV = Your Milage May Vary

Starting Scores: 
Current Scores:  
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.