Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Backdating and AAoA

tag
Sillykitty

Amex Backdating and AAoA

I have a question about Amex backdating & AAoA

My BCP arrived and I went online to activate it and set up a online account.  Much to my surprise it said "Member Since 1995" !!!  Shocked to see this because I figure Amex would not of approved me if they still had record of my old CO.  Since it say 1995 on my online account, will that be what they report to the CRA's?

Question, how is this backdating going to affect my AAoA, how does that calculation work? 

I have 6 open accounts total (4 CC's)

Mortgage:                   12mo

Car loan:                     1yr 8mo

Cap 1:                         2yr 5mo

Barclay:                      1mo

Chase:                        1mo

Amex:                         18yr

Closed Car Loan:        opened 1/04   closed 3/09

How is AAoA calculated?  Is it total months opened divided by total accounts?  How are closed accounts accounted for in the calculation?

If I were to get another Amex, I assume adding another 18 yr account, would have another huge impact on AAoA, correct?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex Backdating and AAoA

Open and closed TLs are used in the calculation. Add the mo/date they were opened and divide by the total number of accounts. The closed date is irrelevant.
Message 2 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Yes another Amex will help aaoa if it reports as 1995.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 10
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

+1 Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 4 of 10
TheConductor
Established Contributor

All of the above is true.

And yes, henceforth every Amex you add will be backdated to 1995, so adding more over time will be a good strategy to keep your AAoA healthy.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 5 of 10
Sillykitty

Thanks everyone.  I really hope that Amex shows 1995 when they report.  Otherwise my AAoA is going to take a nose dive, my closed auto loan will fall off in January. 

Even further motivation to get another Amex or 2!

Message 6 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If it doesn't you can call Amex's Credit Dept and with your account number on your cr - they will update it for you.

You have to have the acct number from CRAs not your actual card number.
Message 7 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Sillykitty wrote:

Thanks everyone.  I really hope that Amex shows 1995 when they report.  Otherwise my AAoA is going to take a nose dive, my closed auto loan will fall off in January. 

Even further motivation to get another Amex or 2!

Normally, closed accounts fall off approx ten years after the date of closure, not opening, so it should stay on for many more years.  Of course, you can still get more Amexs

Message 8 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

It's an old account and shouldn't set off any credit monitoring alert. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
Sillykitty

@longtimelurker wrote:
Normally, closed accounts fall off approx ten years after the date of closure, not opening, so it should stay on for many more years.  Of course, you can still get more Amexs

Oh, great to know, thanks!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.