Amex Backdating

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Backdating

@slarano wrote:

@b71913 wrote:

You didnt get an Au backdated, It cannot be done,

I was the authorized user on my sister's card back in '93, backdated my account two months ago...

He is saying something different.  Let's say your member date is 2000 and your sister's is 1993.  If you got added to your sister's AMEX today as AU, it would be reported as open in 2012 as opposed to either 2000 or 1993.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 21 of 32
ArCpa
Contributor

If she has the same card you may be correct. Per my original post, I have been an Amex member since1998, 3 months ago I applied for the BCP card . They card says member since 1998, but they were reporting it to the bureaus as 2012, I called Amex They agreed it was reporting incorrectly, I asked if I could add my GF as an AU on the account. They said they would but I would show 2012. I have her as an AU on 2 different Amex cards and they both are backdated to 1998. Per Amex any AU on new accounts after Nov 2011, will not be backdated. But the Prrimary account holder can be backdated.

CC: Amex Green ( NPSL) Amex BCE ( 38.1 K ) US Bank Sig Cash ( 20K ) Pen Fed (42K) Chase Freedom ( 7.5K) Discover More (22K ) Cap 1 QSilver (10K) Barclays Rewards (9K) Care Credit (5.5k) Sears (12K) JC Pennys (6K) Dell (15K) Key Bank (19k ) Key Bank (16K) FFO (7.5 K) Shell ( 600) OCCU ( 20K ) City TY (10.5K) CSP (17.5k) Regions ( 18K )Simmons (15K) Regions BLOC (125K) Fuel Rewards MC(10K )Amex Hilton ( 23k)

TU ( MFICO 5/11/14) 812
EQ ( MFICO 5/11/14) 790
EX ( MFICO 5/11/14) 805

Message 22 of 32
ArCpa
Contributor

Yes Crashem, It would be reported as open 2012, they explained to me why they change the policies last yr, but  I was so mad, because of all the mess up, I ignored them.Anyone can call the number i gave , they will explain it.

CC: Amex Green ( NPSL) Amex BCE ( 38.1 K ) US Bank Sig Cash ( 20K ) Pen Fed (42K) Chase Freedom ( 7.5K) Discover More (22K ) Cap 1 QSilver (10K) Barclays Rewards (9K) Care Credit (5.5k) Sears (12K) JC Pennys (6K) Dell (15K) Key Bank (19k ) Key Bank (16K) FFO (7.5 K) Shell ( 600) OCCU ( 20K ) City TY (10.5K) CSP (17.5k) Regions ( 18K )Simmons (15K) Regions BLOC (125K) Fuel Rewards MC(10K )Amex Hilton ( 23k)

TU ( MFICO 5/11/14) 812
EQ ( MFICO 5/11/14) 790
EX ( MFICO 5/11/14) 805

Message 23 of 32
Schumy

So two more questions related to this. 1) I have been an authorized user for a few years. I just pulled my credit reports and have seen the account still being reported from the date I was added as an authorized user. Will this eventually stop reporting or will this continue to reports since I was added prior to the change in backdating? 2) If this continues to report, and I open my own account, will I be backdated on my own account since I seem to have been "grandfathered" in?

Thanks for your help on this.

Chris

Message 24 of 32
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I don't think they are going back to change things back.  Per Amex's current policy, you are eligible for your new cards you apply for should be reported to when you first held an AMEX either as AU or OC.  You might need to fight for it.  My advice is to have your AU cards registered under their own online id and see what the member since date in online.  Then when you apply for new card, make sure you attach it to your online id during application process.  HOWEVER, if you were to get added as AU today, according to current policy, your open date would be 8/2012 even though you have older member since date.

Message 25 of 32
Schumy

Thanks. This brings up one more question, assuming I can have a new account backdated. Let's say I open one new AmEx card up this year in my own name, and another with AmEx next year. Barring any rule changes (and knowing we cnanot predict the future), but will they backdate the newer card from next year as well. Think of it as being an authorized user, opening up your own gold card, then opening up your own blue cash preferred card. Will they all have the same membership date?

I appreciate all the info you guys share.

Message 26 of 32
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Schumy wrote:

Thanks. This brings up one more question, assuming I can have a new account backdated. Let's say I open one new AmEx card up this year in my own name, and another with AmEx next year. Barring any rule changes (and knowing we cnanot predict the future), but will they backdate the newer card from next year as well. Think of it as being an authorized user, opening up your own gold card, then opening up your own blue cash preferred card. Will they all have the same membership date?

I appreciate all the info you guys share.

Yes they will show on the report as all being opened in the same year which should be your member since date aside from a couple of exceptions.  That is why Jan should be apply to Amex month as you will max backdating.  If you opened first amex in Dec of 2012 and 2nd amex in Jan 2013, they would show 12/2012 and 1/2012 open date which is funny as the 2nd card would show being opened earlier than 1st card.

Message 27 of 32
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

I hear so many variations on this theme, I think it's a case YMMV.

I was an AU on an AMEX Gold Card back in 1985. It was my first piece of plastic and I enjoyed using it. The account owner eventually decided that the privilege of membership did not justify the annual fee. LOL!

Last week I applied for the BCP, my first individual Amex card. I didn't think it would get back dated but asked for the heck of it. The rep told me that since the original account was no longer open, they couldn't do it. She said that AUs still get back dated but only if the original account is still active.

That backdating would have done real magic for my AoA. <sigh> Still hoping that the card will have 1985 as the "member since" date. I know....I'm dreaming. Just don't wake me up yet.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 28 of 32
slarano
Frequent Contributor

My sister's account has far been closed yet I was backdated. So it's all YMMV!

ImageImageImage

Message 29 of 32
Schumy

Seems confusing. Perhaps it might be best to apply via the telephone and have the same rep walk you through the steps. Either way, guess I will find out in the future. I imagine a lot of it has to do with what kind of history the original member has, despite us thinking ther eis a hard and fast rule to backdating.

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.