Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Backdating.

tag
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

Amex Backdating.

Never found a solid answer on this. Why is American Express the ONLY bank allowed to backdate? What's the law on that? Why can't chase do it with their cardmember since dates?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Backdating.

@creditconcept wrote:
Never found a solid answer on this. Why is American Express the ONLY bank allowed to backdate? What's the law on that? Why can't chase do it with their cardmember since dates?

There is no law that regulates this, it is at the discretion of the card issuer and AMEX is the only one that chooses to allow an account to report from the original MSD, I even go as far to suggest that it is a marketing ploy...

Message 2 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

I've read this somewhere before Amex at some point came up with the idea of backdating.

After the law changed as far as reporting IIRC 

Amex was grandfathered in thus no one else can backdate.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 6
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

I've read this somewhere before Amex at some point came up with the idea of backdating.

But any credit card company can program their computers to notice that whereas you have several american express cards all from many years ago, most only have X months of history reporting. So its fairly trivial for the computers to notice the truth.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

But any credit card company can program their computers to notice that whereas you have several american express cards all from many years ago, most only have X months of history reporting. So its fairly trivial for the computers to notice the truth.

I'll see if I can find the article but basically even tho were in the age of technology and yes anyone could do it with computers 

According the the law that was passed and Amex grandfathered in .....No one else can by law do backdating 

I look after dinner 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

I'll see if I can find the article but basically even tho were in the age of technology and yes anyone could do it with computers 

According the the law that was passed and Amex grandfathered in .....No one else can by law do backdating 

I look after dinner 

I'd be interested in seeing that too; Amex has traditionally played a little fast and loose with reporting data (SP CLI's is another one of those changes from the traditional mold), I'm surprised they simply didn't whack it.  

Doesn't mean I don't take advantage of it though Smiley Happy.

        
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.