Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Backdating?

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Amex Backdating?

Some dumb questions:

How do you ask for backdating? The rep I spoke with did not understand what it meant.

How do you check to confire after it is done? Do you pull your reports?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex Backdating?

First, don't use backdating, use MSD. You can check by looking at your online profile. 

Once you lock in your MSD (Member Since Date) the year of subsequent cc's will reflect your MSD.  Additional cc's*, will reflect the month of THAT card and the year of your MSD.  

If you are a primary cardholder, your CR's will be backdated as well.  Amex recently changed their policy to exclude the CR backdating for ACMs - when you become a primary, your CR's would be backdated for YOUR new cc. 

*personal cards - business cards it's a YMMV 

Message 2 of 19
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

This one is super easy and you can do it over live chat. Just say "my member since date on my new card doesnt match my other cards, shouldn't it be XX?" Of course if it does match then you don't have to do anything and it's automatic. 

Message 3 of 19
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

First, don't use backdating, use MSD. You can check by looking at your online profile. 

Once you lock in your MSD (Member Since Date) the year of subsequent cc's will reflect your MSD.  Additional cc's*, will reflect the month of THAT card and the year of your MSD.  

If you are a primary cardholder, your CR's will be backdated as well.  Amex recently changed their policy to exclude the CR backdating for ACMs - when you become a primary, your CR's would be backdated for YOUR new cc. 

*personal cards - business cards it's a YMMV 

Thank you! Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 19
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

This one is super easy and you can do it over live chat. Just say "my member since date on my new card doesnt match my other cards, shouldn't it be XX?" Of course if it does match then you don't have to do anything and it's automatic. 

Thank you! Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 19
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Lexie,

Question:  Why is January considered to be the best time to app for AMEX for backdating purposes?  I've never got the full understanding of it.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 6 of 19
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

Lexie,

Question:  Why is January considered to be the best time to app for AMEX for backdating purposes?  I've never got the full understanding of it.

This is how it works

1st AMEX - Reports as month/year of issuence. (lets say 8/2013 for instance)

2nd Amex and on - month opened/original year of first amex (opened in jan will be 1/13. opened in april would be 4/13)

So Jan is best because every amex you open will report as opened January of the first year you got an amex,

Message 7 of 19
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

Lexie,

This is how it works

2nd Amex and on - month opened/original year of first amex (opened in jan will be 1/13. opened in april would be 4/13)

So Jan is best because every amex you open will report as opened January of the first year you got an amex,

Got it...so i got my 1st AMEX cards in November of 2013 (11/13), and if I were to app for my 3rd AMEX card in January 2015, it'll be backdated to 1/13?

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 8 of 19
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

Lexie,

This is how it works

Got it...so i got my 1st AMEX cards in November of 2013 (11/13), and if I were to app for my 3rd AMEX card in January 2015, it'll be backdated to 1/13?

yes sir! But if it slipped to feb for approval it would be 2/13

Message 9 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@yudeology101 wrote:

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

Lexie,

This is how it works

Correct

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.