Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Backdating?????

tag
ljohn27
Contributor

Amex Backdating?????

I just received 2 Amex personal charge cards today. When I applied I asked if I could backdate my cards to my original membership date of my corporate card. They told me to call customer service when I receive them.

I cld customer service today and was advised they would put a request in and send me new cards with my membership date of 2006. I asked if it would be reflected on my credit report - she said it would be reflected on my cards but not my credit report. I'm skeptical of her response. What would be the purpose of backdating if it's not reported. Who cares what the date is on the card.

I let it go and added both card to my existing corporate card online account in hopes that it would seal the deal!

Has anyone had this experience, if so, what happened. Wondering what I can REALLY expect.

EX 678 | TU 689 | EQ 698 LENDER PULL 07/22/2014
EX 655 | TU 690 | EQ 678 MyFICO SCORES 07/09/2014
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Backdating?????

@ljohn27 wrote:

I just received 2 Amex personal charge cards today. When I applied I asked if I could backdate my cards to my original membership date of my corporate card. They told me to call customer service when I receive them.

I cld customer service today and was advised they would put a request in and send me new cards with my membership date of 2006. I asked if it would be reflected on my credit report - she said it would be reflected on my cards but not my credit report. I'm skeptical of her response. What would be the purpose of backdating if it's not reported. Who cares what the date is on the card.

I let it go and added both card to my existing corporate card online account in hopes that it would seal the deal!

Has anyone had this experience, if so, what happened. Wondering what I can REALLY expect.

I did the same thing today. I have not received my card (BCE) yet though. The CSR said they would backdate it to my corporate card date (2012). I didn't even think to ask her about it being on my report(s) that way. I just assumed it would reflect that way on my reports. I hope it does! I'm with you, who cares what the card says. I want my AAoA to show the backdate!!

In my wallet: AMEX BCE $18k | AMEX ED $19.5k | AMEX EDP $10k | AMEX BCEP $10k | HEFCU $10k | Discover it $8.8k | Capital One QS $9k | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Walmart $3,200 | JCrew $2,350 | Chase Slate (AU) $22k.
Now in the garden...
Current FICO Scores: 783 (EX) | 766 (EQ) | 764 (TU)
Message 2 of 16
ljohn27
Contributor

Keep me posted on your success and I'll do the same. I really need mine backdated because I opened 5 new accounts in 2 months...UGH...but really needed them. So having 2 of them backdated would be a bonus!

Message 3 of 16
bobbay
Established Contributor

i think you will be fine.  the only time i have read that this has been an issue is after your account has already reported to the CRB.  In that case they can update your card's member since date but not the open date at the CRB.  since you made the request before it has reported i dont think you're going to have a problem

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 4 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Just a reminder, do not use the phrase 'backdate'. 

Message 5 of 16
Marcos8
Established Contributor

When you log in online it will show you your MSD. The one online from what I understand will be what the credit report shows.

Message 6 of 16
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with that?

In my wallet: AMEX BCE $18k | AMEX ED $19.5k | AMEX EDP $10k | AMEX BCEP $10k | HEFCU $10k | Discover it $8.8k | Capital One QS $9k | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Walmart $3,200 | JCrew $2,350 | Chase Slate (AU) $22k.
Now in the garden...
Current FICO Scores: 783 (EX) | 766 (EQ) | 764 (TU)
Message 7 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Hcontreras wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with that?

You should be asking for them to correct your MSD. Using terms like backdate will usually give you a response  like 'no we cannot do that'.  

Message 8 of 16
ljohn27
Contributor

Lexie

Got it! Makes sense because I had to explain it when I called. Well - fingers crossed on the reporting aspect. My understanding is it takes Amex a while to report so it could be a while before I find out.

Message 9 of 16
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@ljohn27 wrote:

I cld customer service today and was advised they would put a request in and send me new cards with my membership date of 2006. I asked if it would be reflected on my credit report - she said it would be reflected on my cards but not my credit report.  The AMEX Rep is wrong!. Once they correct the MSD on the cards and the website, the date will show on the reports as well. I'm skeptical of her response. What would be the purpose of backdating if it's not reported. Who cares what the date is on the card.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.