Amex Begins Wooing Costco TE Cardholders with BCE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Begins Wooing Costco TE Cardholders with BCE

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Isnt $100 the standard offer

The offer I got and used in January was $50 for $1000 plus a year of amazon prime.

i have no idea what happened here with the quote. lol

Message 21 of 45
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hmm.. give me a PC offer to the EDP and a nice retention bonus and Citi can kiss me goodbye

I'd thought that Amex doesn't allow PCing from a cobranded card (which the Costco TE is). Either way, I'm happy. My plan is to grow the limit on the BCE, transfer some limit over from the Costco card, and let Citi take the rest for the new Costco card next year.

My plan is the opposite...see if I can get the TE to grow, move some of that to BCE and let the rest fade away.   I'm likely cutting ties with Costco once AMEX is out of the picture.

Since i already have BCE, I'm not getting offers there.   If AMEX would make a 3% dining card, I'd be a very happy man.  

The SimplyCash offers 3% on dining (business card). Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 22 of 45
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@yfan wrote:

The offer made no mention of the Costco cobranded card, of course, but it's a rather obvious attempt by Amex to keep as many Costco customers as they can before the transition.

I have yet to see this offer myself but even if I did I won't be switching.  Already have the BCP and it's much more useful to me.  Losing the TE is no big deal for me.

@Anonymous wrote:

i have no idea what happened here with the quote. lol

They sometimes get mangled when you're working in the Rich Text tab.  If you're familiar with tags you can easily clean it up in the HTML tab.

Message 23 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Boragard. The exact same thing is going on with the wife. We have never successfully gotten a 3x CLI from her TE and when we both shotgunned AMEX apps last August, Her PRG took nearly a week to get approved and the EDP was declined (Same HP) with an EX FICO of 703.

Meanwhile my PRG was instapproved and my ED was put on 5 day wait and then approved with 674 EX FICO. Since then I've gotten Auto-CLI on my BSP and another 3X, albeit with slightly higher EX FICO.
Message 24 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to get mail-in offers of $200 and $250 but didnt applied. I still dont remember why I didn't apply for it.

Message 25 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I used to get mail-in offers of $200 and $250 but didnt applied. I still dont remember why I didn't apply for it.

Dont know your reason but BCE is a really underwhelming card, with Sallie Mae beating it on groceries and gas, leaving just select department stores, which at 2% is covered by a 2% card.

Some wouldn't  "waste" an ex pull for just $250.

Message 26 of 45
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I agree completely that BCE is underwhelming. I cannot justify a HP and a hit to my AAOA for that card with SM in my wallet. unfortunately, I doubt amex will offer anything better.
Message 27 of 45
TitaniumCash
Regular Contributor

Eh, that's not really their best offer. They could up it a bit. I received the $250  after $1000 spend offer last year, got it, and stopped using it after the bonus spend. The 2% department stores is useful sometimes but I tend to use my department stores card when I shop anyway.

Also, I don't like statement credits, so I prefer using other cards for cash back redemption or BoA cards for the extra bonus for having an account with them.

Message 28 of 45
yfan
Valued Contributor

@deltatee wrote:
I agree completely that BCE is underwhelming. I cannot justify a HP and a hit to my AAOA for that card with SM in my wallet. unfortunately, I doubt amex will offer anything better.

Oh I don't know about that. First of all, I am not sure if this even was a HP - at least it hasn't shown up on any of my credit alerts yet. With respect to AAOA, Amex backdating to the rescue. And while it's true that SM beats (up to an mount) the BCE with rewards, the BCE has has a purchase protection benefit that allows you to claim the full price of an item within 90 days of purchase if the store won't accept the return. The TE doesn't even have this benefit; I don't know if the SM does.

Message 29 of 45
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

yfan, keep us posted on whether you end up seeing a HP come across. If it is a SP is definitely makes the offer more attractive for no other reason than staying in with AMEX!

Unless I am mistaken, SM offers price protection, identity theft protection, rental insurance, and extended warranty services by virtue of being a world MasterCard. I've never had to use any of these though, so I'm not sure how they compare to what AMEX offers.
Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.