Did you mean: 

Amex Begins Wooing Costco TE Cardholders with BCE

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex Begins Wooing Costco TE Cardholders with BCE

@yfan wrote:

@deltatee wrote:
I agree completely that BCE is underwhelming. I cannot justify a HP and a hit to my AAOA for that card with SM in my wallet. unfortunately, I doubt amex will offer anything better.

Oh I don't know about that. First of all, I am not sure if this even was a HP - at least it hasn't shown up on any of my credit alerts yet. With respect to AAOA, Amex backdating to the rescue. And while it's true that SM beats (up to an mount) the BCE with rewards, the BCE has has a purchase protection benefit that allows you to claim the full price of an item within 90 days of purchase if the store won't accept the return. The TE doesn't even have this benefit; I don't know if the SM does.

If it wasn't an HP, that would be good news, as usually a successful app would be one even for existing card holders.

While I do believe that BCE is more or less valueless, of course other people prioritize differently.   I personally value rewards  which I get on each purchase more than stuff that I may never use like purchase protection,  especially on a card like this where the best category is groceries (where PP is rarely needed!)    But if it was "free" with no HP, then why not...

Message 31 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@deltatee wrote:
I agree completely that BCE is underwhelming. I cannot justify a HP and a hit to my AAOA for that card with SM in my wallet. unfortunately, I doubt amex will offer anything better.

Oh I don't know about that. First of all, I am not sure if this even was a HP - at least it hasn't shown up on any of my credit alerts yet. With respect to AAOA, Amex backdating to the rescue. And while it's true that SM beats (up to an mount) the BCE with rewards, the BCE has has a purchase protection benefit that allows you to claim the full price of an item within 90 days of purchase if the store won't accept the return. The TE doesn't even have this benefit; I don't know if the SM does.

If it wasn't an HP, that would be good news, as usually a successful app would be one even for existing card holders.

While I do believe that BCE is more or less valueless, of course other people prioritize differently.   I personally value rewards  which I get on each purchase more than stuff that I may never use like purchase protection,  especially on a card like this where the best category is groceries (where PP is rarely needed!)    But if it was "free" with no HP, then why not...

For no HP, $100 and some more backdate wouldn't be valueless. Smiley Tongue

Message 32 of 45
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@deltatee wrote:

Amex seems to be quite giving with this card. I got it a while ago (through Credit Karma special offer, no hard pull) and it was immediately my highest CL card and remains so to this day. It's a great card for me. Smiley Happy

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 33 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@deltatee wrote:

Amex seems to be quite giving with this card. I got it a while ago (through Credit Karma special offer, no hard pull) and it was immediately my highest CL card and remains so to this day. It's a great card for me. Smiley Happy

Wait what? CK offer with no HP? How is this?

Message 34 of 45
taxi818
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

Two people in my household (myself included) who are Costco TE cardholders got mailers from American Express today, titled, "A Special Offer for Card Members to Carry the Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express" with a $100 statement credit offer after spending $500 within 3 months of opening the account. The offer made no mention of the Costco cobranded card, of course, but it's a rather obvious attempt by Amex to keep as many Costco customers as they can before the transition. The $100 offer is time limited to applications by 5/31/2015.

Amex Offer.jpg

I got that and I don't have Costco. Not sure that is right get. Does not look like obvious attempt to me. I thought it was marketing. 

Message 35 of 45
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@deltatee wrote:

Wait what? CK offer with no HP? How is this?

I have no idea. If I knew how to search through old FICO's (just signed up this month) I would show you via screenshot but I don't. 

Last February, browsing Credit Karma. Random offer appears, "You are pre-qualified for Amex BCE." 

Not a normal-looking offer. My sig has cards I got and in order. I had very limited credit hx, 1.66 years AAOA at the time. It might have even stated no inquiry. It seemed like I was "chosen" by the "credit gods."

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 36 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@deltatee wrote:

Right, for no HP it might have value.   But still depends.   It's about $90 taking into account the need to shift spend from higher reewards cards, and then the need to track/remember to use etc.  For me, not worth the effort, others YMMV.

Message 37 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@deltatee wrote:

Right, for no HP it might have value.   But still depends.   It's about $90 taking into account the need to shift spend from higher reewards cards, and then the need to track/remember to use etc.  For me, not worth the effort, others YMMV.

$500 is an absurdly easy spend bonus though. I could meet it right this second by ordering a case of 9mm that we need for qualification and just expense it to my employer.

Message 38 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@deltatee wrote:

$500 is an absurdly easy spend bonus though. I could meet it right this second by ordering a case of 9mm that we need for qualification and just expense it to my employer.

Right, and I would get $105 back, vs $10 on my DC say.   So I have an extra $95.   Not much changes!    Unlike some other non-mentionable things, it's not easily repeatable at any frequency, and one off ~ $100 just doesn't pique my interest.    

Message 39 of 45
yfan
Valued Contributor

Yeah I like the relatively low spend requirement to get the bonus, but the primary reason I decided to apply was because I wanted to keep a relationship with American Express after the Costco card is history. To me the relationship itself is rewarding. Amex is the issuer that has always been on top of monitoring fraud (I have had my Amex and my BofA cards fraudlantly used at the same location, and Amex blocked the charges before I even knew of them and then called me whereas BofA took a full 3 months to resolve the matter after I called them), has had truly stellar customer service, and I have always felt appreciated as a customer. Believe it or not, I have filed price protection claims before (with Discover, since my Costco TE doesn't have it), so the return protection isn't of no consequence to me.

Also, I haven't even got the card yet and already I have better Amex offers on my BCE than on my TE (better as in more suited to me, granted), some of which I'm planning on using - which incidentally also allows me to double dip - earn the bonus for the $500 spend AND earn whatever bonuses come with Amex Offers.

Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.