Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex - Best for Traveling?

tag
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

Amex - Best for Traveling?

Which Amex is best for traveling and getting free trips, perks, etc.?
05/12: approx 680 across the board
04/08 EQ: 730 TU: 748 EX: 718
03/08: EQ: 713 TU: ? EX: ?
12/07: EQ: 689 TU: 711 EX: 721
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex - Best for Traveling?

Well the Delta Skymiles card gets you free airfare. Hilton Honors gets earns you free hotel nights. You would need to contact AMEX and ask them which cards do what.
Message 2 of 12
gary4872
Regular Contributor

Probably depends on what kind of travel you do. Platinum charge has a lot of advantages depending on where you stay but you can get many similar advantages from a Virtuoso travel agent. I have a rewards plus gold that offers double points on travel spend. MR points tend to be well spent on travel.
Message 3 of 12
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

I use Continental and SW Airlines primarily, Delta every so often and US Airways. I have timeshare 3 weeks per year and wanna get miles for free or upgraded travel...
05/12: approx 680 across the board
04/08 EQ: 730 TU: 748 EX: 718
03/08: EQ: 713 TU: ? EX: ?
12/07: EQ: 689 TU: 711 EX: 721
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

techgirl wrote:
Which Amex is best for traveling and getting free trips, perks, etc.?

There are many, many Amex card with travel-related rewards.  The answer to your question really depends on what sort of traveling you do, how often, and how you like your rewards (airfare, hotel upgrades, statement credits, etc.)

All of the Amex charge cards have MR points, which can be converted into FF miles from several different airlines on a 1:1 basis.

For hotels, there are the Hilton HHonors card and the Starwood Preferred Guest card.  Each of these cards has airline-related perks, as well.  For example, the Hilton card allows you to "double dip" and earn hotel points and FF miles for each stay.  The Starwood card allows you to convert SPG points into FF miles at a rate of 25,000 FF miles per 20,000 SPG points.

The Delta SkyMiles cards get you Delta SkyMiles (oddly enough).

The Jet Blue card gets you FF miles with Jet Blue.

The Blue Sky card allows you to redeem 7500 points for a $100 statement credit against travel-related purchases, regardless of the carrier, hotel chain, rental car agency, or cruise line.  You just make your own arrangements, charge it to the card, and redeem your credits.

Amex travel rewards vary greatly from program to program.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The one major problem I would have traveling with an AMEX card would be all the reports I've read of accounts being frozen for random reasons at odd times. Kind of like flying in the Rockies in an airplane where the engine runs like a champ...99% of the time. Well, that 1% can get you into a major bind.

I would definitely carry a backup card, especially if traveling abroad.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

TheNewWorldMan wrote:
The one major problem I would have traveling with an AMEX card would be all the reports I've read of accounts being frozen for random reasons at odd times. Kind of like flying in the Rockies in an airplane where the engine runs like a champ...99% of the time. Well, that 1% can get you into a major bind.

I would definitely carry a backup card, especially if traveling abroad.

And this is why I would always call Amex, or any CCC before a big trip (or major purchase).
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

mrscharlie wrote:

And this is why I would always call Amex, or any CCC before a big trip (or major purchase).

Agreed.  Whenever I call Amex before I take a trip they always make careful note of my travel plans and thank me very much for calling.

When I call other CCCs and explain to them that I will be out of town and would like to make sure my charges are approved while I'm away and are not flagged for fraudulent activity, the typical response is something like:

"Ohhhhhh-kaaaaaay.  And you'd like to do what now?"

Message 8 of 12
smallfry
Senior Contributor

You can call them before during or after and you still run the risk of denial at pos.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understood the question to be about which Amex cards offer the best travel rewards.  Just because you redeem Amex rewards for travel doesn't mean you have to use the Amex while traveling.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.