Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Bill Payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Bill Payments

So I finally received my EDP which is now my first Amex card and I am extremely excited about it. Reading through the forums about Amex gives me some anxiety just because it seems like Amex is such a picky or unique CCC. 

With both my Discover Card and my Chase Freedom i usually make 2 payments per month on each card. Usually i'll pay down each card a little bit $100-$200 in the first two weeks of the month and then pay off the Discover card completely before the actual due date and leave $100-200 on the Chase card to take advtange of the 0% APR and have a reported balance for utilization purposes.

I heard Amex does not like multiple payments in the same month but of course YMMV. My question or any opinions that can be provided, should I just PIF at the end of the month before the due date, or would I be safe making the usual 2 payments that I do like with my other cards?

I know it may not seem like the logical thing to do with my cards, but at least with my Discover and Freedom, i've found it works pretty well for me.

Also, what is Amex's "general" opinion on carrying balances. I have the 0% APR for 15 months, but again I heard Amex does not like people who carry balances which if thats the case, I have no issues PIF although what's the point of the intro APR offer if they don't actually like it Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Bill Payments

I've done multiple and single payments, whatever I felt like for that period based on usage before the statement cut date. Haven't had any issues other than after I first loaded my banking information I couldn't make multiple payments until after like a 30 or 40 day window.

Message 2 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

Yes lots of paranoids on amex. Pay as you please.  

Message 3 of 8
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

I got my ED in mid-August and made the following payments:

1 in August

5 in September

4 in October

Also got my PRG in August and following payments:

4 in August

2 in October

by statement cut date I was at a $0 balance.

People get crazy about AMEX but I haven't had any issues. I was also approved for my 61 day 3x CLI without a problem. I haven't left any balances on my ED because I haven't really needed to. It's said that AMEX prefers you didn't leave a balance on their cards but who knows where that comes from. I think the rule of thumb is, as long as you pay on time and more than the minimum you're good. I mean, isn't that the case with every CCC? AMEX may get spooked easily if they notice a spike in your spending pattern...like a dramatic spike but really that's all.

Message 4 of 8
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

I had done multiple payments within a month on my AMEX BCP. No issue at all. Actually they appreciate it.  

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 5 of 8
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

1 in August

5 in September

4 in October

4 in August

2 in October

People get crazy about AMEX but I haven't had any issues. I was also approved for my 61 day 3x CLI without a problem. I haven't left any balances on my ED because I haven't really needed to. It's said that AMEX prefers you didn't leave a balance on their cards but who knows where that comes from. I think the rule of thumb is, as long as you pay on time and more than the minimum you're good. I mean, isn't that the case with every CCC? AMEX may get spooked easily if they notice a spike in your spending pattern...like a dramatic spike but really that's all.

They charge interest (in my case, 17.90%) on unpaid balances.  Why would they NOT WANT people to carry a balance?   Isn't the interest (plus merchant fees) how they earn their revenue?  What am I missing here?

Pigeye

2007 - 2010 low point: mid-500s

With the help of myFICO community, now: 714 EQ FICO

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 6 of 8
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@Pigeyex wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

1 in August

5 in September

4 in October

4 in August

2 in October

They charge interest (in my case, 17.90%) on unpaid balances.  Why would they NOT WANT people to carry a balance?   Isn't the interest (plus merchant fees) how they earn their revenue?  What am I missing here?

Pigeye

Exactly. But people hear stories from others about how "amex closed my account because I was carrying a balance" and really people fail to mention other changes to their CR/Spenidng habits which leaves those who don't know any better thinking amex hates balances. Though true, they like to see solid payments on balances, it's not true that they hate customer who carry balances.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the replies! I am definitely at ease now Smiley Happy 

Now onto using my EDP for everyday purchases Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.