Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex - Black List

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex - Black List

As some of you will know, I was recently declined for the Amex everyday card. I got a call this week from Amex EO about a letter I sent and how disappointed I was on being on the Black List, with out any real options. 

A few pieced of information that they shared with me that I thought might be helpful to some people. 1- They don't call it a black list they refer to it as an internal risk rating 2- Policy recently changed with Amex in regards to applicants with prior AMEX IIB, depending on how large the IIB Account was a members internal risk score will be to high for 5-7 years unless deemed excessive (wouldnt give me the magic number) but indicated that it would be 10 years. One exception to that rule is defrauding Amex in which case it will lead to a perminant high risk rating. 3- I had mentioned the optima program and how I originally asked for an invitation and was told no based on how my account was closed, They mentioned that it was true, IIB no longer qualifies for optima 4- I asked if I just paid back the balance if it would help, was told it would have no impact what so ever 5- reviewed my membership and said it looks like my Interal Risk Score would drop closer to the 5 year mark then the 7 year mark but couldnt tell me exactly when as it was propitary, made the suggestion to stay away from inquiries in order to get back in. 6- AU accounts impact the IR score allot when you do not have a primary account.

Happy with the information provided, looks like I may be able to get back in soon. 

29 REPLIES 29
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Amex - Black List

@Anonymous wrote:

As some of you will know, I was recently declined for the Amex everyday card. I got a call this week from Amex EO about a letter I sent and how disappointed I was on being on the Black List, with out any real options. 

A few pieced of information that they shared with me that I thought might be helpful to some people. 1- They don't call it a black list they refer to it as an internal risk rating 2- Policy recently changed with Amex in regards to applicants with prior AMEX IIB, depending on how large the IIB Account was a members internal risk score will be to high for 5-7 years unless deemed excessive (wouldnt give me the magic number) but indicated that it would be 10 years. One exception to that rule is defrauding Amex in which case it will lead to a perminant high risk rating. 3- I had mentioned the optima program and how I originally asked for an invitation and was told no based on how my account was closed, They mentioned that it was true, IIB no longer qualifies for optima 4- I asked if I just paid back the balance if it would help, was told it would have no impact what so ever 5- reviewed my membership and said it looks like my Interal Risk Score would drop closer to the 5 year mark then the 7 year mark but couldnt tell me exactly when as it was propitary, made the suggestion to stay away from inquiries in order to get back in. 6- AU accounts impact the IR score allot when you do not have a primary account.

Happy with the information provided, looks like I may be able to get back in soon. 

Well good luck. I really don't understand the obsession with getting back in with them. I think Amex of old is dead and gone. They are just another lender imo with no exceptional service what so ever. Good luck on your Goal op. Im not putting salt on that. IM just saying since i have been with amex they don't strike me as the best. I personally prefer Discover and Cap one.

Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good information. Thanks.

Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly its only for the delta relationship/points. One of my favorite places to get away for the weekend has a delta hub and not a united hub, and it really gets under my skin having already paid 3 times (6 round trip) for baggage this year. Also it costs me 50,000 united miles Round trip through a United Partner instead of the 30,000 it cost me through some old delta points I had. I just wish delta had a card like united that offered more than 1 pt per dollar spent
Message 4 of 30
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Well if it's your goal.to.get back with them, hopefully it will play out that way for you down the road.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 30
Namaste7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This bolded sentence aligns with the data points we see for approvals with forum members that still have a BK reporting (which may or may not include a AMEX IIB). It's also nice to see that they are willing to consider AU history when the AU applies independently. 

+1 OP for writing the letter and sharing the response.

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 6 of 30
jeffery581
Established Contributor

re: Well good luck. I really don't understand the obsession with getting back in with them. I think Amex of old is dead and gone. They are just another lender imo with no exceptional service what so ever. Good luck on your Goal op. Im not putting salt on that. IM just saying since i have been with amex they don't strike me as the best. I personally prefer Discover and Cap one.

I second that. amex aint what it used to be.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 7 of 30
n777ua
Established Contributor

I wonder what Amex considers "defrauding"?  Fraud can be a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 8 of 30
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@n777ua wrote:

I wonder what Amex considers "defrauding"?  Fraud can be a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

In their eyes, churning could possibly even be construed as fraud....  My opinion..

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy wrote:

@n777ua wrote:

In their eyes, churning could possibly even be construed as fraud....  My opinion..

Very very doubtful that they would consider churning as fraud and you can't churn Amex cards as their bonuses are once in a lifetime.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.