Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue Cash Denial.

tag
Juan123
Established Contributor

Amex Blue Cash Denial.

So i just got my denial letter in the mail and it states this as the following reason for my denial;

Your FICO score

The length of time you have been a customer with American Express is too short.

Then i look down some more and it states they used a report from August 22 2012, the application was October 20th 2012...  A lot of things have changed in 2 months... think i should bother calling for a recon and getting another hard pull or should i just wait it out? How heavy do they weigh on the fact that i've only been an amex member for about 7 months? I only got the green card to "Get my foot in the door" Don't actually use the darn thing >_<

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50
Juan123
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Denial.

3rd page already? jeez.

Long way to go ^_^
Message 2 of 51
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Well, the good news is that since you're an existing card member, the denial was only a soft pull... Smiley Happy

If you're wanting to recon this, there have been some threads recently where people had been able to do this successfully, but it's not common.  Your scores definitely support you getting the card, but Amex also uses their own internal scoring system that seems to be weighed more heavily than FICO scores.

If you really want this card you have two options:  contact them and see if they will consider a recon, or (better yet) use your Green card heavily over the next couple of months to gain a stronger internal history with Amex (right now you have not demonstrated that you have the ability to pay since you've not actually used your Green card) and apply again in January, 2013 to see if you get approved and also get the backdating goodness.

Good luck to you. Smiley Happy  

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 3 of 51
Juan123
Established Contributor

@TNTransplant wrote:

Well, the good news is that since you're an existing card member, the denial was only a soft pull... Smiley Happy

If you're wanting to recon this, there have been some threads recently where people had been able to do this successfully, but it's not common.  Your scores definitely support you getting the card, but Amex also uses their own internal scoring system that seems to be weighed more heavily than FICO scores.

If you really want this card you have two options:  contact them and see if they will consider a recon, or (better yet) use your Green card heavily over the next couple of months to gain a stronger internal history with Amex (right now you have not demonstrated that you have the ability to pay since you've not actually used your Green card) and apply again in January, 2013 to see if you get approved and also get the backdating goodness.

Good luck to you. Smiley Happy  

thanks for the advice, i thought that amex no longers backdates? I Called about an hour ago and she said she'd be able to push it through for reconsideration and she did also mention they use an internal scoring system, but my scores have gone up about 30pts since aug 2012. (date of the report they used) so hopefully i get it... i downplayed how much i used my green card, i have used it, just not a lot... maybe a total of $1500 in 7 months lol

Long way to go ^_^
Message 4 of 51
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

I Re: Amex Blue Cash Denial.

I have been a amex customer since 2006.

I applied for a platinum card this year due to the international travel perks,(august) and they backdated the account to 8/2006.

If you are not approved ask for the amex blue.  Then try a PC in a year. 

GL

Message 5 of 51
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Nah, they still backdate primary account holders (you) no problem, and additional card members to the year they were first added.  

The stuff you've been reading lately has more to do with "additional card members" having issues getting backdated to the original card member's membership date (Amex changed their policy on this in Nov of last year), or additional card members getting backdated on closed accounts...  Smiley Sad

Good luck with your recon.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 6 of 51
Juan123
Established Contributor

trying not to have my hopes high honestly... 

Long way to go ^_^
Message 7 of 51
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Why did you apply so soon? AMEX backdates. You could have applied any time in 2013 and still gotten the 2012 member date on your new account Smiley Sad At least the denial was only a soft pull. If you request a recon, they will HP you.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 8 of 51
distantarray
Established Contributor

@TNTransplant wrote:

Nah, they still backdate primary account holders (you) no problem, and additional card members to the year they were first added.  

^ this. Primary account holders are not affected with THEIR own start date, only Authorized users dont' get backdating.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 9 of 51
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Use the green you got and show them usage and payment history. Then apply back in January for max backdating if recon not approved.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 10 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.