cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue Cash Denial.

Established Member

Re: Amex Blue Cash Denial.

Is an existing account with Amex necessary for approval for BCE? I just applied for one two days ago and was denied, so I was just curious. I've had a Capital One card for a little over a year, with a 735 EQ score. I applied for US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature and Discover More the same day as the BCE and was approved for both. Just not the BCE.

Starting Score: 735 (EQ) / 777 (TU)Oct. 2012
Current Score: 761 (EQ) / 752 (TU)Aug. 2014
Goal Score: 800
App free since 19.11.2013. \o/
Message 11 of 51
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Denial.


Satellite5 wrote:

Is an existing account with Amex necessary for approval for BCE? I just applied for one two days ago and was denied, so I was just curious. I've had a Capital One card for a little over a year, with a 735 EQ score. I applied for US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature and Discover More the same day as the BCE and was approved for both. Just not the BCE.


No. Although, having a card with an issuer for a while will increae your chances of getting another card from them, as long as the one you have is in good standing.

Message 12 of 51
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Denial.


Satellite5 wrote:

Is an existing account with Amex necessary for approval for BCE? I just applied for one two days ago and was denied, so I was just curious. I've had a Capital One card for a little over a year, with a 735 EQ score. I applied for US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature and Discover More the same day as the BCE and was approved for both. Just not the BCE.


not really. I never had Amex before, and was approved for the BCP on monday.

Message 13 of 51
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Denial.

Another person is burned by the "Get your foot in the door with Amex" advice.

 

 

Amex is not a godsend.  They are not a status symbol.  All Amex is and Another Company.  That's it, folks, just another company.

 

 

AND and AND on top of that, Their Cards are not accepted everywhere.  IMO, Amex is dog doodoo.

 

 

But to get back on point, yeah I would recon.  Your scores are high and I would take the HP for it.  

 

That is, if you really want Amex and not all the Labron James fake Amex Hype.

 

 

Message 14 of 51
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Denial.


ccnewcc wrote:

Another person is burned by the "Get your foot in the door with Amex" advice.

 

 

Amex is not a godsend.  They are not a status symbol.  All Amex is and Another Company.  That's it, folks, just another company.

 

 

AND and AND on top of that, Their Cards are not accepted everywhere.  IMO, Amex is dog doodoo.

 

 

But to get back on point, yeah I would recon.  Your scores are high and I would take the HP for it.  

 

That is, if you really want Amex and not all the Labron James fake Amex Hype.

 

 



I would not say dog doodoo, but I do believe that people here seem to worship them. I know everyone has different likes and everything, but still. People afraid to check their spending ability or let a balance report or take an inquiry for fear of adverse action from American Express is a bit silly. Of all the cards I have, that may be the only one I could not care less about getting shut down.

 

Backdating really is of no use to me as I can not see myself getting another American Express card in the future, unless they have a good cashback card. I do like they make credit available as soon as you submit a payment, although they have not received it yet. Being able to set a limit for an authorised user and have them have their own card number is also pretty cool. So they do have some positives, but again, everyone has different wants and needs.

Message 15 of 51
Moderator

Re: Amex Blue Cash Denial.


ccnewcc wrote:

Another person is burned by the "Get your foot in the door with Amex" advice.

 

 

Amex is not a godsend.  They are not a status symbol.  All Amex is and Another Company.  That's it, folks, just another company.

 

 

AND and AND on top of that, Their Cards are not accepted everywhere.  IMO, Amex is dog doodoo.

 

 

 


No.  It's a well known fact that Amex will base their approvals of existing card members on an existing SP which they may have pulled up to two months earlier.  There's a reasonable chance that a recon in this case (pull of an updated report) will actually fix this.

 

Also getting one's foot in the door, has typically been suggested along with "actually use the card."  7 months of history, with only ~250/month spending on the card is not quite what I'd call demonstrating sufficient history with Amex which is absolutely a spend-centric provider.  If one is chasing the Green (or the artist formerly known as Zync, or any other charge card) with hopes of two-stepping to a Blue Cash Something, it is absolutely in your favor to simply wrap your arms around said charge card for the time leading up to the BC-something app.

 

Amex may not be a godsend, but I'm hard pressed to think of any other lender I'd rather have in my corner right now, possible exception of Chase; that said, Chase doesn't backdate which is a non-trivial benefit to me, and everyone else in a building/rebuilding situation, and Amex does treat customers, which do them right, well.  Unlike my appreciating my BOFA card, I strongly doubt I'm alone in this opinion on this forum or anywhere else.

 

 

 

Starting Score: EQ 5 561, TU 98 567, EX 2 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 5 771, TU 4 758, EX 2 758, EQ 8 795, TU 8 762, EX 8 786 (7/28/17)
Goal Score:    EQ 5 750, TU 4 750, EX 2 750, EQ 8 800, TU 8 Blah, EX 8 800 (01/01/18)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 51
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Denial.


CruzImperial wrote:
Use the green you got and show them usage and payment history. Then apply back in January for max backdating if recon not approved.

i dont get it... why would jan give me max backdating? 

 

also ccnewcc, i want amex because they have great benefits. and it is a status symbol lol.

 

edit: nvm cruz, just googled, thought they match your old card but it's pretty cool that you get some free months,.


Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 17 of 51
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Denial.


Revelate wrote:

No.  It's a well known fact that Amex will base their approvals of existing card members on an existing SP which they may have pulled up to two months earlier.  There's a reasonable chance that a recon in this case (pull of an updated report) will actually fix this.

 

Also getting one's foot in the door, has typically been suggested along with "actually use the card."  7 months of history, with only ~250/month spending on the card is not quite what I'd call demonstrating sufficient history with Amex which is absolutely a spend-centric provider.  If one is chasing the Green (or the artist formerly known as Zync, or any other charge card) with hopes of two-stepping to a Blue Cash Something, it is absolutely in your favor to simply wrap your arms around said charge card for the time leading up to the BC-something app.

 

Amex may not be a godsend, but I'm hard pressed to think of any other lender I'd rather have in my corner right now, possible exception of Chase; that said, Chase doesn't backdate which is a non-trivial benefit to me, and everyone else in a building/rebuilding situation, and Amex does treat customers, which do them right, well.  Unlike my appreciating my BOFA card, I strongly doubt I'm alone in this opinion on this forum or anywhere else.

 

 

 


 

If my product wasn't accepted by many merchants (and worldwide Merchants at that), I'd too try to treat my cusomers well.  Especially if my customers are paying me $500 in AF every year just so they can be called Suckers ....oops, I mean "members" of my company.

 

Message 18 of 51
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Denial.

Don't shoot me down for saying this but I see a lot of people flock and fall over AMEX b/c it seems prestige and elite but it's really just another lender. There was a time when AMEX was limited or targeted to certain groups but anyone can get one now so AMEX has long lost that appeal.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 19 of 51
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Denial.


maiden_girl wrote:

Don't shoot me down for saying this but I see a lot of people flock and fall over AMEX b/c it seems prestige and elite but it's really just another lender. There was a time when AMEX was limited or targeted to certain groups but anyone can get one now so AMEX has long lost that appeal.


+1 Exactly!

 

ppl bow down to kiss Amex's feet.  Its a bit sickening.   

Message 20 of 51