Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue Cash Pref Supermakets

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Pref Supermakets

Even though Target doesn't always count for bonus grocery rewards, I find I can still often save more money there vs worrying about going to a "real" grocery store and getting a couple percent more in rewards.
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kdm - I actually have found that "real" grocery stores are cheaper when actually buying groceries than Target.

For example: Ribeye Steak at my local Target $11.99 per lb

Ribeye Steak at my local Vons Grocery store $5.99-$8.99 a lb

Same cut of meat nothing different both "USDA Choice" grade. I have found this to be true for all meats sold between "real" grocery stores and Target whether it's beef, chicken, or seafood.
Message 22 of 28
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I also just got the BCP for the supermarket cash back. Generally I shop at Neighborhood Market and was wondering how they coded. I had seen advice to check the VISA merchant look-up and found that Neighborhood Market actually did code as a supermarket. Called AmEx just to be sure and they confirmed it was a superstore. Now I shop at Publix to get the full 6% reward. While it is a bit more expensive than good ol' Wally World, if you watch their coupons and sales, you can come out about the same or even a little cheaper. It also helps that Publix is literally on the other side of the street from Neighborhood Market so I dont have to really drive any farhter either.

Bear in mind that AMEX (and Discover, for that matter) code differently than Visa/MCC.   So using that site wont help with determining AMEX.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen a tool for AMEX that is similar, so you may have to rely on a trial run to see how purchases code.  Anyway, I'm glad the Publix option is working out for you!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still can't believe my butcher is not a grocery.  Who ever made the rules up had some interesting ideas.   I think Walmart, Sams. Costo, Bj's and Target pushed for a low merchant fee and that's why they are not grocery.  

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Backwoods - The reason your butcher or any butcher is not and should not be codes as a Grocery Store is simple. If you grab a dictionary and look up Grocery or Grocerh Store you'll likely find this definition:

"A store selling foodstuffs and various household supplies".

The second part is key while a butcher may sell foodstuffs they do not sell the various household supplies. While stores like Walmart and Target do sell "foodstuffs and various household supplies" meeting the definition of a grocery store.
Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always recommend researching a credit card before applying for it. American Express does a decent job of explaining which grocery stores will and won't earn 3% or 6% cash back.

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember that Amex BCP does not code the same across the board. A number of us have found that Walmart Neighborhood Markets do code correctly as grocery, while it seems that certain locations do not. Coding as grocery is very location-dependent. The same is true of other stores.

Researching it in advance would not have really helped in this situation (since you cannot know in advance whether your specific Neighborhood Market codes as grocery) - just an awareness that coding can vary across stores, and you'd need to be ok with that prior to applying for the card. I'm sure there are some stores nearby that would result in a nice savings using the card if you investigate further.

Good luck. Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Longtimelurker - This statement is wrong in which way??

" - Maybe Amex is just outdated. I definitely wouldn't consider any Target as a "Discount Store". They offer products at the MSRP whereas a Discount Store would usually go way below that."

Your statement which is frequently wrong for Amex (again, the subject of this thread) is:

"Target stores and Super Targets both always code as Grocery just an FYI."

Maybe Amex is "outdated" but that hardly matters when the goal question is "Will my Amex BCP give me 6% at Target?"   The answer is far from "always" yes!

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.