Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue Cash Preferred

tag
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Amex Blue Cash Preferred

I just applied and was approved for a Amex SPG card. I also want the new Blue Cash Preferred for their 6% cash back at supermarkets. I spend roughly $400 per month grocery shopping and the rewards will pay for Amex yearly AF.

Since Amex just approved me for a SPG card...any chance I could get approve for the Blue Preferred too? Or should I just wait?

I was also approved for a Priceline Rewards Visa, BB Store and Dillards Amex 2 months ago. So all in all, 4 new CCs just opened in the L2 months.

Before the app spree, I was bench warming the last 1.5yrs.

I froze my Equifax report today. My EX only have 2 inquiries L2 yrs, TU has 6 inquiries (3 this past yr.). My TU Fico is sitting at 695, down from 706 after getting a few hard pulls from Barclays, Reliant Energy and another hard pull from Barclays again for a CLI. My EQ report is clean, Fico at 745 but have 9 inquiries L2 yrs. I am worry Amex will declined for having too many inquiries.

I do have one medical baddie from 9/2005 but have perfect payment history since the CO back in 2005. My UTIL is currently at 25%.

Is the Amex Blue Cash Preferred harder to get than the SPG? I am looking for my 2nd Amex card. Should I wait 6 months to let Amex see how my usage will be with the SPG than apply for the Blue?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated !!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Amnesia87
Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Preferred

@tntexans72 wrote:

I just applied and was approved for a Amex SPG card. I also want the new Blue Cash Preferred for their 6% cash back at supermarkets. I spend roughly $400 per month grocery shopping and the rewards will pay for Amex yearly AF.

Since Amex just approved me for a SPG card...any chance I could get approve for the Blue Preferred too? Or should I just wait?

I was also approved for a Priceline Rewards Visa, BB Store and Dillards Amex 2 months ago. So all in all, 4 new CCs just opened in the L2 months.

Before the app spree, I was bench warming the last 1.5yrs.

I froze my Equifax report today. My EX only have 2 inquiries L2 yrs, TU has 6 inquiries (3 this past yr.). My TU Fico is sitting at 695, down from 706 after getting a few hard pulls from Barclays, Reliant Energy and another hard pull from Barclays again for a CLI. My EQ report is clean, Fico at 745 but have 9 inquiries L2 yrs. I am worry Amex will declined for having too many inquiries.

I do have one medical baddie from 9/2005 but have perfect payment history since the CO back in 2005. My UTIL is currently at 25%.

Is the Amex Blue Cash Preferred harder to get than the SPG? I am looking for my 2nd Amex card. Should I wait 6 months to let Amex see how my usage will be with the SPG than apply for the Blue?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated !!

Well if you actually applied today, in theory, you can apply for the blue as well, and it will be on the same pull... I got both my Gold Preferred and Blue Cash Preferred on the same day, 1 pull.

Worst case they will cancel the app and say you have to wait, but my understanding is that you can apply for more than 1 CC from them the same day, as long as they are different types, so like you can only apply for 1 type of blue card in a 3 or 6 month window.

I do think if you get declined for 1 card, then apping more is auto decline, but since you got approved, there really is nothing to lose.

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Amnesia87 wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

I do think if you get declined for 1 card, then apping more is auto decline, but since you got approved, there really is nothing to lose.

I'm not the OP, but am curious about this.  Hard pull aside, would adding two cards instead of one decrease overall credit age and potentially lower your credit score?

Message 3 of 6
Amnesia87
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Amnesia87 wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

I'm not the OP, but am curious about this.  Hard pull aside, would adding two cards instead of one decrease overall credit age and potentially lower your credit score?

Fair enough, but considering he's already opened 4 CC in the last 2 months, I don't think he's super worried, and once those cards all start reporting, it's going to lower his AAoA anyway, and he will have to take another inq to get the card later.

If he wants the card, it makes more sense to get it now, since his scores are already going to dip, and if he waits 6-12 months for them to rebound, then he's just going to have take another inq and reduce his AAoA MORE than if he does it now, since by then the card would be a year old...

Plus with a little luck he can try and backdate the amex if he can find someone to add him as an AU. Then it will INCREASE his AAoA

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 6
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Plus with a little luck he can try and backdate the amex if he can find someone to add him as an AU. Then it will INCREASE his AAoA

My parents used to have the Amex Gold business card in 1999. I was an AU on the card...will Amex back date if I am an AU?

Message 5 of 6
knr

They should, yes...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.