cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue Cash Two Credit Limits

tag
tlgp

Amex Blue Cash Two Credit Limits

I was recently approved for a new Amex Blue Cash Everyday card.  I haven't gotten the card in the mail yet, and the approval email didn't mention what the credit limit would be.  I was able to get into the online account, however, where the card shows "Avaliable Credit" of $500 and "Credit Limit" of $1000.   Which of these is the real credit limit?  If I have a credit limit of $1000, why is there only $500 of avaliable credit?  Does anyone understand the difference between these two number and what they mean?

BOA Cash Rewards: $4000 Discover IT: $1600 Chase Freedom: $3200 AMEX BCE: $2000 Barclay Arrival: $4000
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Two Credit Limits

@tlgp wrote:

I was recently approved for a new Amex Blue Cash Everyday card.  I haven't gotten the card in the mail yet, and the approval email didn't mention what the credit limit would be.  I was able to get into the online account, however, where the card shows "Avaliable Credit" of $500 and "Credit Limit" of $1000.   Which of these is the real credit limit?  If I have a credit limit of $1000, why is there only $500 of avaliable credit?  Does anyone understand the difference between these two number and what they mean?

That's odd. Did you request a balance transfer to your new BCE card?

congrats on getting this card and welcome to AMEX family if you're new!

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 2 of 8
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@tlgp wrote:

The $500 available credit was because you asked to see your credit card number when you were approved. If you were to go to Amazon and use that card number, a charge of up to $500 of would be approved. You cannot use the full limit until you phyically receive the card.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 3 of 8
tlgp

@GaTech wrote:

That's odd. Did you request a balance transfer to your new BCE card?

congrats on getting this card and welcome to AMEX family if you're new!

I did not request a balance transfer or anything else like that- I just applied normally online.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanging of these numbers is that the Credit Limit should always be the same (unless you get a CLI), and the avaliable credit should be the Credit Limit minus the current balance on the card; e.g. if you have a credit limit of $1000 and you make $150 in purchases, you should have $850 of avaliable credit.  Since I haven't made any purchases yet, I should have $1000 in avaliable credit, right?

BOA Cash Rewards: $4000 Discover IT: $1600 Chase Freedom: $3200 AMEX BCE: $2000 Barclay Arrival: $4000
Message 4 of 8
tlgp

@longtime_lurker wrote:
The $500 available credit was because you asked to see your credit card number when you were approved. If you were to go to Amazon and use that card number, a charge of up to $500 of would be approved. You cannot use the full limit until you phyically receive the card.

That makes sense.  So that should go up to $1000 when I activate the physical card, then.

Message 5 of 8
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Yes.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 6 of 8
Startome
Regular Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@tlgp wrote:

+1

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 7 of 8
user5387
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure that an AMEX CL on a revolver actually means that you can spend that amount.

There's also the internal limit that Amex maintains.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.