Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue Cash and groceries at Target

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Blue Cash and groceries at Target

I was looking at the the Blue Cash Everyday and Preferred cards and trying to figure out which one would be better (would the AF be worth it). My closest grocery store is Target, although I also shop at 2 other grocery stores. I am guessing the Target grocery purchases don't fall under the grocery category. Do they get rewards at the department store category? Or is it just the 1% all other purchases category? Does anyone have experience with this?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash and groceries at Target

Some of those stores (Target/Walmart) fall into the discount store categories. You'd have to call and ask. Maybe if it is one of those Greatland superstores it would code differently, but I'm not hopeful.

Message 2 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Only merchants who code their transactions as 5411 in MCC are eligible for 3% cashback for grocery/supermarket.

Only merchants who code their transactions as 5311 in MCC are eligible for 2% cashback for department store.

As far as I'm aware of, Walmart codes its transaction as 5310 (discount store) in MCC.

https://secure.cmax.americanexpress.com/Internet/US/Corporate/AtWork/Files/atwork_rc_cs_er_mcc_direc...

@OP

Why not use Target REDCard? It offers 5% discount right away.

Message 3 of 8
MS00000000
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was looking at the the Blue Cash Everyday and Preferred cards and trying to figure out which one would be better (would the AF be worth it). My closest grocery store is Target, although I also shop at 2 other grocery stores. I am guessing the Target grocery purchases don't fall under the grocery category. Do they get rewards at the department store category? Or is it just the 1% all other purchases category? Does anyone have experience with this?

When I called about the Preferred card, I was told by the Amex rep that Target would count for department store, but if they sell groceries there, it would not count as grocery store. I actually don't think it will count as department store either because the one near my house is coded as Wholesale somehow so I think it would only be 1% in that case. Your local Target may be different though.

Message 4 of 8
brainysmurf
Contributor

Thats definitely one to figure out, Target near me just got groceries. The perishables that is.

On a side note, does anyone know how aafes transactions (Navy Exchange) would be coded?
EX / EQ / TU FICO
Start: ? / 633 / 621 March 2011
Current: 751 / 760 / 750 (PSECU, SW, QM)
My Wallet: Fidelity Amex 5k, NFCU CashRewards 10k,
SD: Barclays Apple 1.2k, Amex Zync NPSL, HomeDepot 1.2k
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. I am considering the Target Red Card but I would prefer to limit the number of credit cards I have to manage.

It sounds like the coding might vary with the different Target store variations. Bit of pain to figure out.

Message 6 of 8
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

The Target superstores with groceries here in So Cal were treated as grocery stores by PenFed and recieved 2% cash back before it was reduced to 1%.  Sort of surprised me, but I'm skeptical that Amex will feel the same about them for the Blue Cash Preferred/Everyday.  Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 8
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I too think you should get the Target Red Card... You can only use it at Target.

You get 5% off at the register and if you buy your prescriptions there, after you have purchased 5 of them, you will get a card in the mail for an additional 5% off for a full day of shopping at Target. We have also purchased things like Tums, paid for them at the Pharmacy register and got credit for that purchase too.

I do understand your concern with managing too many cards, but this one is for sure worth a look. Their interest rate is horrible so make sure to PIF if you choose to apply!

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.