Reply
Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem
Posts: 3,279
Registered: ‎08-03-2007
0

Amex Blue Cash approved

I guess Amex is starting to loosen up the flow of credit a little bit. After giving me a CLI on my Clear they approved me for a Blue Cash. My CL is $2000. Not bad considering they wouldn't give me a CLI at all 6 months ago.

 

I figured since they backdate the history, there wasn't any harm in opening this. I think I might be able to make a nice little bit of cash back should I be able to get the 5% back tier. 

Here we go again...
Super Contributor
DI
Posts: 5,767
Registered: ‎01-28-2008
0

Re: Amex Blue Cash approved


FretlessMayhem wrote:

I guess Amex is starting to loosen up the flow of credit a little bit. After giving me a CLI on my Clear they approved me for a Blue Cash. My CL is $2000. Not bad considering they wouldn't give me a CLI at all 6 months ago.

 

I figured since they backdate the history, there wasn't any harm in opening this. I think I might be able to make a nice little bit of cash back should I be able to get the 5% back tier. 


Did you get a second card or is this a product change?

Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem
Posts: 3,279
Registered: ‎08-03-2007
0

Re: Amex Blue Cash approved

This was a new card. My third Amex. I have the Gold Premier Rewards charge card (my primary) that I just upgraded my normal Gold card to, the Clear, and now the Blue Cash!
Here we go again...
Super Contributor
DI
Posts: 5,767
Registered: ‎01-28-2008
0

Re: Amex Blue Cash approved


FretlessMayhem wrote:
This was a new card. My third Amex. I have the Gold Premier Rewards charge card (my primary) that I just upgraded my normal Gold card to, the Clear, and now the Blue Cash!

I started with a Blue card in August and quickly did a PC to Blue Cash in October.  I got a CLI too.  

Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem
Posts: 3,279
Registered: ‎08-03-2007
0

Re: Amex Blue Cash approved


DI wrote:

I started with a Blue card in August and quickly did a PC to Blue Cash in October.  I got a CLI too.  


How has the cash back program worked out for you so far with the Blue Cash? Are you happy with it? Does the unlimited 5% ever pay off well? I noticed it's limited to their predefined category of "every day" purchases. Gas was one of them, but my Discover Open Road gets 5% cash back on gas, so I doubt I would switch from it for gas except for when I exceed $100 monthly in gas purchases, per the cap on the Open Road. 

Here we go again...
Regular Contributor
Romeoo47
Posts: 201
Registered: ‎11-26-2007
0

Re: Amex Blue Cash approved

Fretless, I don't mean to rain on your parade but the Discover Open Road does not offer 5% cash back on gas anymore.  You might want to read your change in terms letter.  Discover discontinued the card a few months ago and changed the cashback from 5% to 2%.  I received a letter a few months ago about it.  If it hasn't happened to you then great.  Once I received the letter I did a PC from the Open Road to the More card. 

 

In terms of the Blue Cash, you really have to spend a lot of money to get to the 5% tier.  I found the CHase Freedom to be better for me in regards to cashback.  I'm averaging about 2% cashback on the Freedom.  When I use to use the AMEX Blue Cash almost exclusively I was getting somewhere around 1.5% cashback. 

Regular Contributor
Romeoo47
Posts: 201
Registered: ‎11-26-2007
0

Re: Amex Blue Cash approved

Fretless, I hope my response didn't come across rude.  I'm a little bitter about the Discover change since I got the card to use exclusively for my car. 
Super Contributor
DI
Posts: 5,767
Registered: ‎01-28-2008
0

Re: Amex Blue Cash approved


FretlessMayhem wrote:

DI wrote:

I started with a Blue card in August and quickly did a PC to Blue Cash in October.  I got a CLI too.  


How has the cash back program worked out for you so far with the Blue Cash? Are you happy with it? Does the unlimited 5% ever pay off well? I noticed it's limited to their predefined category of "every day" purchases. Gas was one of them, but my Discover Open Road gets 5% cash back on gas, so I doubt I would switch from it for gas except for when I exceed $100 monthly in gas purchases, per the cap on the Open Road. 


I only use the AMEX card to pay my $50 gym dues.  I'm not a good cardholder to answer your questions.

 

Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem
Posts: 3,279
Registered: ‎08-03-2007
0

Re: Amex Blue Cash approved


Romeoo47 wrote:

Fretless, I don't mean to rain on your parade but the Discover Open Road does not offer 5% cash back on gas anymore.  You might want to read your change in terms letter.  Discover discontinued the card a few months ago and changed the cashback from 5% to 2%.  I received a letter a few months ago about it.  If it hasn't happened to you then great.  Once I received the letter I did a PC from the Open Road to the More card. 


Sorry for the confusion. I forgot about that. I got that letter a little while back too. However, I believe it was 2% back on the first $250 instead of 5% on the first $100, so the total cashback per month should stay the same if maxed out, at $5 total bonus a month. 

 

Then again, I don't think I spend $250 a month on gas. I didn't think about that. I spend about $40 a week.

Here we go again...

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+