Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue credit line?

tag
mab6311
New Contributor

Amex Blue credit line?

Hey guys I have an Amex Gold was thinking of app for an AMEX blue to 1) backdate giving me a better AAOA and 2) want to get a high limit card for utilization (my other cards are like 5k,9k notting above 9k from banks like chase, BOA, etc) My FAKO scores are 760-770 what do you think AMEX will give me as far as a credit line? Is there another Amex card i should sign up for instead being fee free? Thanks guys!! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Blue credit line?

Based on your numbers I would expect 10-15K. Since you already have a Gold card a lot will depend on that history. The nice thing about an AMEX is the ability to get a nice CLI at 61 days, then again at six months. So even if they start you low you should see a nice increase rather quickly.

Edit: I just read you post again and saw that you were quoting FAKO scores. Hard to say what your initial limit will be, but as I stated above your limit should grow nicely.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 2 of 7
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I find Amex a great way to build up credit lines. Not because they are generous with initial cl. It is because of their clear soft based cli policies. Amex can be funky with their initial cl if you have never had revolver with them. The op shouldn't be surprised to get a 3-5k cl. Great thing in 61 days they can request up to 3x cli. And 6 months later, go up cli 3x up to 25k. My first Amex revolver had 8k cl which was half of my next credit line. But 61 days later I had cl of 24k. My 2nd Amex revolver had initial cl of 15k which I got 30 days after first Amex revolver. So in 61 days, I went from Amex exposure of 8k to 39k.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 7
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Btw I wouldn't expect significantly different cl based on what Amex revolver you go for. However, I hear the blue cards are the hardest of Amex revolvers to get but who really knows.
Message 4 of 7
mab6311
New Contributor

Crashem what do you mean by their clear soft based cli? they do soft pulls instead of hard pulls when i want a cli? 

Message 5 of 7
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Amex has one of most transparent (which is what I mean by clear) cli policies. You can request cli of up to 3x to 25k starting in 61 days and then after every 6 months. All these cli will be via soft pull. Please note, the soft pull will not be new. Amex is very active with soft pulls so they will use the last one they did to evaluate cli request. So make sure the last soft pull by Amex reflects what you want them to see before you apply for cli.
Message 6 of 7
mab6311
New Contributor

Also you did my say my relationship with Amex. My memebership date is 02, have had my gold card for 2-3 years. Alway paid in full, always paid early or on time. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.