Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CC AU Question

tag
felyasocal
New Contributor

Amex CC AU Question

So I've had an American Express card that I am the AU on for a long, long time. Probably 15 years or more. It's my mom's card and she added me when I was in college. I am curious what I should do. The situation is that the balance on the card is always very high. between $3K and $10K. Everything is always paid on time and the balance decreases, but it never goes below the $3K mark. I don't even use the car. I just have it just in case. What do I do? Do I remove my self from being an AU or leave it as is? I think the high balance is having a negative effect on my credit. I am in the process of rebuilding my credit I am in the high 600s, but I have a feeling the high balance on this Amex is having some effect on my credit. I have 2 credit cards of my own. They are not high limit cards and I do use those all the time, but they are paid off. Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex CC AU Question

@felyasocal wrote:

So I've had an American Express card that I am the AU on for a long, long time. Probably 15 years or more. It's my mom's card and she added me when I was in college. I am curious what I should do. The situation is that the balance on the card is always very high. between $3K and $10K. Everything is always paid on time and the balance decreases, but it never goes below the $3K mark. I don't even use the car. I just have it just in case. What do I do? Do I remove my self from being an AU or leave it as is? I think the high balance is having a negative effect on my credit. I am in the process of rebuilding my credit I am in the high 600s, but I have a feeling the high balance on this Amex is having some effect on my credit. I have 2 credit cards of my own. They are not high limit cards and I do use those all the time, but they are paid off. Thank you!

Which card?  Charge card, doesn't matter (much) as it's not factored into FICO '04 or '08 utilization; if it's a revolver and you're sitting with small limits on cards, 30% utilization isn't ideal but it doesn't suck.

Personally if you're currently a mixed-file rebuilder it's probably doing you way more good than harm even if it's a revolver honestly.  I'd be looking at it as a backdate possibility anyway Smiley Happy.

        
Message 2 of 7
felyasocal
New Contributor

Its an American Express Rewards Plus Gold credit card

That's what I figured as well, regarding the back-dating. Its the oldest one I have by far and its never late. I just wish my parents would not spend so much. Well, they can afford it =)

What about long term? Let's say my credit is good and I have other good cards, do I close this one? I am just afraid everything that I will have left, while in perfect standing, will be 5 years old or less

Message 3 of 7
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

I definitely wouldn't close it until you received your own AMEX and used that card to backdate your account. Once you've done that, it probably doesn't matter what you do unless you want it just in case as its intention.
Message 4 of 7
felyasocal
New Contributor

Interesting. So when I get my own Amex, I am able to back-date it? I am curious how that would work?

Message 5 of 7
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@felyasocal wrote:

Interesting. So when I get my own Amex, I am able to back-date it? I am curious how that would work?

You will apply for the card and then ask them to "change your 'member since' date to the one of your AU card."

To make it easier and more obvious to the AMEX customer service reps, I would make both cards under the same online account. When you ask them to change the member since date, they will understand the card and situation. This will help your average age of accounts on your credit report.

Message 6 of 7
felyasocal
New Contributor

Great. Thats really awesome. Thank you!!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.