Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CC's have a double limit.

tag
shark268
Contributor

Amex CC's have a double limit.

I've discovered something that I haven't read about, it may be common knowledge though. I have two amex cards and have come across the same results after messing with this for several days on both of them. 

It seems when I check the spending ability, both cards are approved for exactly double their credit card limit when I check. If I have spending on the card it will get denied at the double limit but will always be approved for my AVAIL CREDIT + FULL CREDIT LIMIT. 

I think it's pretty generous of amex to double the credit limit and never even brag about it, especially when there is no over limit fee. 

Is this the case with you guys as well? ( It will only let you check spending ability 2x per day) 

What is your experience with going over the limit on an Amex card? 

edit: grammar

4/2013 first credit ever. Eq Fico 749, discover TU fico 777

NFCU NavChek: 15k // NFCU CashRewards 14k // Sportsman's Guide Visa 9k // CSP 7.5k // CU LOC 7.5k // Amex BCE 6k (1987) // Total Rewards 5.5k // BarclayCard Ring 5k // Amex ED 4.5k (1987) // Commerce Bank 4k // Cap1 VentureOne 3k // JCrew Store: $6.45k // WF Visa 3k // Amazon Store 2.5k // Quicksilver MC $1.5k // Discover IT $1250 // Chase Freedom $1k // PenFed LOC $500
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex CC's have a double limit.

@shark268 wrote:

I've discovered something that I haven't read about, it may be common knowledge though. I have two amex cards and have come across the same results after messing with this for several days on both of them. 

It seems when I check the spending ability, both cards are approved for exactly double their credit card limit when I check. If I have spending on the card it will get denied at the double limit but will always be approved for my AVAIL CREDIT + FULL CREDIT LIMIT. 

I think it's pretty generous of amex to double the credit limit and never even brag about it, especially when there is no over limit fee. 

Is this the case with you guys as well? ( It will only let you check spending ability 2x per day) 

What is your experience with going over the limit on an Amex card? 

edit: grammar

I've not had this be the case with my card. I have multiple with them and I tried one on my 9.5k limit card -- 9.5k was approved and 15k was not. It might work for you, but I would think that this blanket statement is definitely not true. 

Interesting that it worked for you, though!

Message 2 of 31
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey!

My experience has been that their revolvers work a lot like the Visa Siggy/World MCs in that they will allow purchases above your CL but you must pay the minimum +over credit limit at Next billing cycle.  The "check your spending ability" button will give you a good idea.  It is based off your internal score and ability to pay I asume.  Nice little benefit that they don't advertise like their competitors.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 3 of 31
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

I've tried this w/ my Delta Gold which has $2k limit on it...checked the "spending eligibility" and put $4k- no go, put $3k- no go, put $2.5k- no go, $2.01- approved. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 4 of 31
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

I've tried this w/ my Delta Gold which has $2k limit on it...checked the "spending eligibility" and put $4k- no go, put $3k- no go, put $2.5k- no go, $2.01- approved. 

Whoohoo, yude! Are you going to throw a big party with those big bucks?

Message 5 of 31
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

I also tried to put in amounts over my $10k limit. $12,500, NOT AUTHORIZED, $11,000, NOT AUTHORIZED. $9,900, YOU HAVE EXCEEDED YOUR LIMIT FOR CHECKING AUTHORIZATIONS. CALL OUR -800 NUMBER.

Message 6 of 31
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

Yes sirrrr I am a man of my word, you come to the OC area I'll make sure to show you a good time around in my hood Smiley Wink   But with that eligible spending amount, i think we can have a nice party at Taco Bell lol

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 7 of 31
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

I also tried to put in amounts over my $10k limit. $12,500, NOT AUTHORIZED, $11,000, NOT AUTHORIZED. $9,900, YOU HAVE EXCEEDED YOUR LIMIT FOR CHECKING AUTHORIZATIONS. CALL OUR -800 NUMBER.

LOL Oh my.....

Message 8 of 31
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

I forgot to mention- DO NOT play with the button!  It's to check for actual intended charges.  I have seen post that mention being suspended till they verify income.  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 9 of 31
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

I forgot to mention- DO NOT play with the button!  It's to check for actual intended charges.  I have seen post that mention being suspended till they verify income.  

LOL! NOW we learn.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.