Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLD, yes, with a "D"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex CLD, yes, with a "D"

So, we know that if Amex believes you are having financial troubles, they may, among other things, decrease the usually very generous CL they have given you.

My question is: Suppose you don't have any financial troubles AND Amex doesn't think you have them either, BUT you just have better cards to use.  So, if your usage of Amex cards is zero or just minimal, have you heard of them CLD for ONLY that reason? 

I ask because I have heard that regarding other lenders but not Amex.  I know the Amex accounts themselves are safe, and with minimum usage you can make them ultra-safe.  But, what about the large CL themselves, are them safe of CLD for little usage?  Any evidence one way or the other?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex CLD, yes, with a "D"

I had $25K CL on a card I didn't use for 4 years and nothing happened.  But that's just a random data point!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

I had $25K CL on a card I didn't use for 4 years and nothing happened.  But that's just a random data point!

And thanks for that data point!

However, am I safe assuming you have other Amex cards?  And you are probably using those a lot?  And maybe Amex just would never do AA against one of your accounts and sour the whole relationship?

If that's the case, I believe your data point is positive for Amex users that have multiple cards and neglect some of them.

So, you are forcing me to be more precise:

What about those who neglect or give minimal use to ALL their Amex cards.  Anybody heard any CLD stories for that sole reason?

Message 3 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

And thanks for that data point!

However, am I safe assuming you have other Amex cards?  And you are probably using those a lot?  And maybe Amex just would never do AA against one of your accounts and sour the whole relationship?

If that's the case, I believe your data point is positive for Amex users that have multiple cards and neglect some of them.

So, you are forcing me to be more precise:

What about those who neglect or give minimal use to ALL their Amex cards.  Anybody heard any CLD stories for that sole reason?

No, it was my only Amex card.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

longtimelurker wrote: 

No, it was my only Amex card.

That's good!!!  So, lets hope we keep NOT hearing stories of CLD for non use!  

However, if someone has something to say to the contrary, by all means...

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Silence speaks volumes. in tis case.  

I have seen stories of lenders doing the CLD in these cases.  I am positive about BofA doing it, also Barclay's, Commenity, Synchrony... I am almost sure I have also heard of Chase doing it, but I am not positive.  Never paid attention to Citi, so I don't know.

This is another one of those Amex benefits that go unmentioned every time some uninformed poster asks why do people like Amex cards...  Well, we want Amex for things like this, DUH!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex cards seem pretty safe against decreases in that situation.

On a side note, I've seen people with not so great credit, not so great income, and not big spenders have higher limits than I expected and never a decrease.

The one thing they all had was that their Amex cards were all pif. Some companies prefer balances but to me Amex is a pif type of company.

The only time I ever had an Amex decrease was when I owed them over 40k when my income was 50.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.