Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLD :(

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex CLD :(

@TheSpeculator wrote:
4 or 5 inqs this summer. Plus the maybe 3 that were there from 2012.

My Amex balances before this statement were 0% (charge card), 0%, and 70%. As of today all zero balance.

No more inqs for me. Luckily amex balances are all manageable now. Just have to pay down my other debts.

I'm thinking that 70% Amex util coupled with the other 2 at 80% is what got their attention.  Like enharu said, at least they kept the accounts open and it sounds like you're able to manage through it.

Message 11 of 25
TheSpeculator
Regular Contributor

70% was on HHonors for a good 3 months
__
Freedom, Sapphire, Slate - HHonors, PRG, BCE - Cap1 Platinum - Discover IT - Tiffany & Co - Jared - Best Buy Citi -
Message 12 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I believe the high util was the issue. The inq's probably not so much unless it looked like you were rolling over debt.
Definitely get your other cc's down before the other shoe drops. Smiley Sad
Message 13 of 25
missjae
Established Contributor

It could be worse. They could have closed all of your accounts. With the first Amex I had, I had high utility and the cut my credit limit to $500, then closed the account a month later. It was my fault since I had high utility across the board and made min. pymts. Fix what you can and don't worry too much. It's definitely a learning experience.
Message 14 of 25
enharu
Super Contributor

Another thing to remember. It's a bad idea to drag high balances immediately following a spree. If you want to make use of the 0% promo to its fullest, then don't go on a spree.

Having lots of new accounts and inquiries reporting on top of high utilization usually means trouble.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

what percent of utilization is the breaking point? I usually use about 35-40% of my credit limit on my amex TE . I am just worried about getting CLD. I think the overall usage for all my credit cards is between 4-5 %. Should i start paying multiple times an month to make sure the utilization is under 20% for that card?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 16 of 25
enharu
Super Contributor

@mong, having high utilization on 1 card is usually fine.

There's no "fixed" threshold for utilization either. It varies depending on the individual. Banks usually also factor in how much you are paying as well.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 17 of 25
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Stinky!!  But I wouldn't worry about it too much.  AMEX CLI policies make it easy to get it back and more.  When are you eligible for CLI?  Also what are the limits of your other AMEXs.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 18 of 25
parakleet
Valued Contributor

I agree with enharu - there's too many variables involved to know what the "sweet spot" on util to expect AA from amex. For example - I got my BCP (12.6k CL), Slate (10k), Freedom, CSP, and Discover all back in April'13. I've been carrying a balance from BTs on the Slate (70% util), Freedom (50%) and Discover (50%) since then and was able to get a 61-day CLI from 11k to 12.6k on the BCP. Grant it, I didn't get the full "3x" which most likely due to my high balances but I certainly didn't get AA from them. Knock on wood. I should note that the BTs have been going down progressively and I always make more than the min payment. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 19 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:
@mong, having high utilization on 1 card is usually fine.

There's no "fixed" threshold for utilization either. It varies depending on the individual. Banks usually also factor in how much you are paying as well.

Well i am an bit worried because i was planning to put some charges into my newly acquired BCP and freedom also to make sure i a qualify for the bonus when i signed up. Maybe i should try and split up those purchases or pay multiple time to make sure if they SP it will show low utilization ?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.