Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI 3x rule?

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Amex CLI 3x rule?

61 days after activation then 6 months after that.

The automated system does mantion that it can process CLI up to 25K but if you're looking for more, it will transfer you to a CSR.

Once I hit my 6 month mark, I will go for the max 25K. Thats more that I will ever need.

Message 11 of 19
jnydc
Contributor

61 days from what...? The day you were approved or day you activated?
2009 Credit Portfolio: First Premier 450, Orchard Bank 400

2012 Credit Portfolio: AMEX; Gold, Zync, & Clear 5k
Citi Platinum Select 2k, Home Depot Store (Citi) 4k, Discover More 10k, Barclays Apple 2k, Cap 1 (secured) 2.5k
Message 12 of 19
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@jnydc wrote:
61 days from what...? The day you were approved or day you activated?

I asked the same quesion last month.  I was told 61 days from activation.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 13 of 19
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Just keep in mind that if you have multiple AMEX cards you can only do 1 CLI every 6 months whether it's a new card or not.  For example, say you got a BCP today, 61 days from now you get a CLI...you then open a AMEX SPG card a week later after that and then try a CLI 61 days from that point of open...it will decline.  You won't be eligible for 6 months from the date of your BCP CLI.  I tried this myself and I got a decline and a letter saying I already did a CLI increase on another card and I have to wait 6 months from date of CLI. The rep on the phone told me the same thing. 

However, if you just have 1 card you need not worry...it is 61 days from open date and then you'll have to wait 6 months after that initial CLI to get another one.

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 14 of 19
pkhuu78
Contributor

How about if you have a charge card with them and this is your first CC, can you do it after 61days?

......NPSL.........14.5 K............30 K..........20 K.........10 K...............8 K.............7.5 K..........
Message 15 of 19
CS800
Super Contributor

@pkhuu78 wrote:

How about if you have a charge card with them and this is your first CC, can you do it after 61days?

If you only had charge cards and now you have a CC, then 61 days from activating the CC, you will be eligible for a CLI.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ArisGreek wrote:

Just keep in mind that if you have multiple AMEX cards you can only do 1 CLI every 6 months whether it's a new card or not.  For example, say you got a BCP today, 61 days from now you get a CLI...you then open a AMEX SPG card a week later after that and then try a CLI 61 days from that point of open...it will decline.  You won't be eligible for 6 months from the date of your BCP CLI.  I tried this myself and I got a decline and a letter saying I already did a CLI increase on another card and I have to wait 6 months from date of CLI. The rep on the phone told me the same thing. 

However, if you just have 1 card you need not worry...it is 61 days from open date and then you'll have to wait 6 months after that initial CLI to get another one.

if I understand correctly I got a CLI on my BCE card back in Nov and got approved for the Blue Sky in Jan so I won't be able to get a CLI on the Blue Sky until May?

Message 17 of 19
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

Here's my story:

I was approved for the AMEX Gold Credit Card.

When it approached a year (and the AF) I app'd for and received the Delta Skymiles Gold Card with a $2K CL. Closed the Gold Charge card.

61 days later did an auto CLI to $6K.

Six months after that I did the auto CLI to $18K.

In six months I'll try an auto CLI to $25K (yes, there limit on auto CLI's) and be done.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 18 of 19
credithappy
Regular Contributor

Yes, you are correct the 61 day rule works on this first cli then you have to wait 6 moths there after on all of your Amex revolver credit cards.Smiley Happy

Amex Green - Amex BCP - Amex Everyday Card - Amex Rose Gold - Elan Visa - Xcel FCU Visa - Walmart MC - Sam's MC - Macy's - Bloomingdales - Nordstrom - Sam's Club CC - Discover IT and US Bank Visa FlexPerks - AMEX HHonors - NAVcheck - NAVcashRewards Sig Visa, NAVgoRewards MC, Chase Amazon VISA, BoA CashRewards VISA - Chase Marriott Reward Premier CC, Jetblue Card MC, PenFed Power CR Visa Signature Card, Chase Freedom, Nordy VISA and BBVA
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.