cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI and they want a 4506T form filled out

Contributor

Re: Amex CLI and they want a 4506T form filled out

Wow,I'm gonna go apply at a hospital when I get without a doctors degree and in hope to get hired haha.jk.well damn man that is insane,congrats !i will be getting out of the army soon and will need a better job Smiley Happy after that story I still have hope.
Message 21 of 28
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex CLI and they want a 4506T form filled out


Settemio wrote:

IT, as in information technology. I don’t have a degree... never went to college in fact. And even more so, I quit high school at age 16... But, I got sick of playing the victim because of my poor choices as a youth and decided to change things.

I was a carpenter for the first 12 years of my working career. Not dissing carpenters of course. I loved building and it fit my 'engineering' desire. I then got into computers at age 29 and switched careers at age 30. At that time, I was a high school dropout, not even a GED.

I started in the IT field 16 years ago, doing phone support. I quickly realized that I didn’t want to do that and I could make more money if I was specialized. I studied very hard, keep taking on harder, more challenging jobs... Within 3 years, I was hired as a full time employee, not contractor, at Microsoft. No degree, no high school diploma... They really didn’t care because they knew I was skilled and they took the chance with me. After a while there, I went into consulting and I have done that ever since, 12 years now consulting... I didn’t get my GED until about 7 years ago.

I am telling you this because people shouldn’t let their goals get interfered by what society might tell you, or what you perceive. Every time I tell my story, people don’t believe someone unschooled like me can get to where I am... I am not in any way advocating that people don’t get an education. My road to where I am at was much harder than someone that would have gone to school. I didn’t have a choice though, and I didn’t let that stop me. I now do however have an education in computers because of my 16 years’ experience and the 28 Microsoft certifications I have.

I work with very large companies, multi-billion dollar companies. I have to sit in meetings with CIOs and other C-level executives and talk like I have an educated background. I have never been questioned and they usually treat me with the same respect I treat them with.


Thank you for sharing such an inspirational story!

 

 

starting EQ FICO : 526 current EQ FICO : 640 starting TU FICO: 538 current TU FICO : 656

My wallet: Capital One cash rewards $1,300- ~ NFCU signature cash rewards $5,000- ~ NFCU nRewards $5,000- ~ NFCU LOC $1,000- ~ Target $200- ~ Kohl's $300- ~ Walmart $800- ~ Amazon $900- ~ Updated 6/2013

Discharged Ch7 Nov.16, 2012

Message 22 of 28
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex CLI and they want a 4506T form filled out


mojobones89 wrote:
Wow,I'm gonna go apply at a hospital when I get without a doctors degree and in hope to get hired haha.jk.well damn man that is insane,congrats !i will be getting out of the army soon and will need a better job Smiley Happy after that story I still have hope.

There are professions, like the one you stated..., that this would never apply to... Like I said in my post, I am not advocating that people not pursue education and go this route. I was just telling my story in case someone is in a situation like I was and going to school isn't an option, or too late in many cases...

Message 23 of 28
Contributor

Re: Amex CLI and they want a 4506T form filled out

I know I was jk Smiley Happy
Message 24 of 28
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex CLI and they want a 4506T form filled out


Settemio wrote:

mojobones89 wrote:
Wow,I'm gonna go apply at a hospital when I get without a doctors degree and in hope to get hired haha.jk.well damn man that is insane,congrats !i will be getting out of the army soon and will need a better job Smiley Happy after that story I still have hope.

There are professions, like the one you stated..., that this would never apply to... Like I said in my post, I am not advocating that people not pursue education and go this route. I was just telling my story in case someone is in a situation like I was and going to school isn't an option, or too late in many cases...


Microsoft is extremely hard to get hired into. Their interviews are classics. One of the side effects of hiring the best is that they don't want to exclude skilled people who might not be degreed. Degrees are not all that useful as prescreens in many tech jobs. It really depends on the field as to how critical they are. Also the industry market. Companies that do a lot of govt. contracting tend to be very degree oriented.

I have a degree but came to realize early in my career that not considering folks without degrees would be counterproductive. Good IT people and programmers have a passion for it. You can tell when you see it.

 

One thing's for sure. CC issuers could care less whether you have a degree or not.


I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 25 of 28
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex CLI and they want a 4506T form filled out


cashnocredit wrote:

Settemio wrote:

mojobones89 wrote:
Wow,I'm gonna go apply at a hospital when I get without a doctors degree and in hope to get hired haha.jk.well damn man that is insane,congrats !i will be getting out of the army soon and will need a better job Smiley Happy after that story I still have hope.

There are professions, like the one you stated..., that this would never apply to... Like I said in my post, I am not advocating that people not pursue education and go this route. I was just telling my story in case someone is in a situation like I was and going to school isn't an option, or too late in many cases...


Microsoft is extremely hard to get hired into. Their interviews are classics. One of the side effects of hiring the best is that they don't want to exclude skilled people who might not be degreed. Degrees are not all that useful as prescreens in many tech jobs. It really depends on the field as to how critical they are. Also the industry market. Companies that do a lot of govt. contracting tend to be very degree oriented.

I have a degree but came to realize early in my career that not considering folks without degrees would be counterproductive. Good IT people and programmers have a passion for it. You can tell when you see it.

 

One thing's for sure. CC issuers could care less whether you have a degree or not.


Yes, we went off topic a bit Smiley Wink someone asked what I did and it went from there...

Message 26 of 28
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex CLI and they want a 4506T form filled out

So, what's next?  Is the request automatically going to be rejected (because you sent in too recent tax returns!) or was that just a rep's opinion?   As you say, this is way too much work for a 10K increase.

Message 27 of 28
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex CLI and they want a 4506T form filled out

Congrats! I admire your self motivation. I ended up being a teen mom; starved my way through college to get an environmental science degree so that me and kiddo might have some kind of life... now I make 6 figures Anyone can be highly successful if they are motivated and willing to pursue opportunities to learn and grow. That's what makes America so great... its the land of opportunity for those who are willing to seek out the opportunities.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!



Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 28