Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI charge vs credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex CLI charge vs credit?

I know Amex has rules around how often you can CLI a card, the 90/180 day rules. 

My question is, does an increase to a spending limit on a charge card count as a CLI? If I work on increasing the spending limit on my PRG charge card, does that mean I have to wait longer before I try and CLI my BCE credit card?

Also--I assume increasing the limit on the charge card is mostly about maxing out whatever they let me put on it, and then immediately paying it off, and repeating that until they increase? Or do I want to call them to try and get it increased?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex CLI charge vs credit?

It doesn't count as a CLI and you can't call them to raise it.  It can go back down just as it can go up.

Message 2 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also--I assume increasing the limit on the charge card is mostly about maxing out whatever they let me put on it, and then immediately paying it off, and repeating that until they increase?

That's just one part of what they consider.  Click on the i in a circle next to "No pre-set spending limit" on yuor account and you'll see:

No Pre-Set Spending Limit does not mean unlimited spending. Purchasing power adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, and financial resources known to us, and other factors.
Message 3 of 10
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

You can't raise or lower a charge card "limit" It varies with a number of things that are going on with your account such as payment history, charge history, length of satisfactory payments and so on. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

it usually isn't necessary, unless you are a major baller, you will never find your internal limit by normal spending. Without triggering alerts and red flags that bring FR into play. 

Just checked my spend ability button with my Zync card that has't been used in months, but they said it would be approved for a $25,000 purchase, note that this is roughly 25% of my yearly gross income. And the highest monthly spend on the card is about $1000, not sure if they will approve anything I put into the web page, because I have never actually spent what i requested in the last 4 years of being a card holder. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can't do a CLI with a charge card. It is a fluid credit line in some ways as each individual purchase and the total balance are controlled based on your current circumstances (e.g. income, assets, credit score, etc...).

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well my internal limit appears to be very low. I haven't actually got hte card yet but I played with the button, and I saw approved at $300 and declined at $500. So it's low. This is versus having a $10k limit on my Amex BCE. 

I wonder I should just call in and ask for a FR to try and accelerate that a bit. While I don't plan on spending huge sums on it, I'd like to think I can use the card for ordinary spending without worrying where the limit is.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well my internal limit appears to be very low. I haven't actually got hte card yet but I played with the button, and I saw approved at $300 and declined at $500. So it's low. This is versus having a $10k limit on my Amex BCE. 

I wonder I should just call in and ask for a FR to try and accelerate that a bit. While I don't plan on spending huge sums on it, I'd like to think I can use the card for ordinary spending without worrying where the limit is.

Wait till you get the card. I tried putting 4k into the spending limit checker and declined. I called up and they said I should easily be able to put 4k on it. I haven't gotten my platinum either.

Message 8 of 10
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You could try that and they could just very well close your account also. I say just give it time and do some spending on that card. I've had mine for about 5 months, last I check on the spending ability it was approved for $35k. I honwever do put alot of charges through the card every month, anywhere from $17-25K.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 9 of 10
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

The NPSL has proven no issue for me. The first month I got my Amex I put 8k on it. I have since charged over 50k at times though my monthly typical is about 3k. I have no idea what my actual SL is. I've checked a few times before purchases much larger than past ones, was approved, but never checked limits I didn't intent to exercise.

It's just way more flexible than my other CCs.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.