Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI denied due to credit score :(

tag
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Amex CLI denied due to credit score :(

I tried to do a CLI because i thought my 61 days were up. I got the 7 - 10 days reply, so i hit up the chat lines. I was told that i was declined due to "credit score". My experian score is 720+, unless if it changed overnight. Anyone ever experienced something like that from Amex?

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jaebsf
Contributor

Re: Amex CLI denied due to credit score :(

"Credit score" can be a difficult thing to understand with AmEx because in addition to a FICO score based on credit report they also use a propreitary scoring system. Which they don't discuss by the way.

Message 2 of 8
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Sorry OP, I go for my 3x CLI on Saturday. I'm not confident I'll get it since I have tons of EX inqs and new accounts. I notice AMEX softs my report once an inq hits.

Message 3 of 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Membersince2013 wrote:

I tried to do a CLI because i thought my 61 days were up. I got the 7 - 10 days reply, so i hit up the chat lines. I was told that i was declined due to "credit score". My experian score is 720+, unless if it changed overnight. Anyone ever experienced something like that from Amex?

Could be your internal AMEX score.   What's your usage of the AMEX like?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

@jaebsf wrote:

"Credit score" can be a difficult thing to understand with AmEx because in addition to a FICO score based on credit report they also use a propreitary scoring system. Which they don't discuss by the way.

+1.

you can call again and ask them for the score they used to evaluate your request. If the CSR mentioned a risk score, then that is Amex's internal scoring system. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 8
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Yes, AMEX uses their internal score system.

Message 6 of 8
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

I called in and apparently the chat rep must have made up the "credit score" part. The lady i spoke with said it has to be reviewed by a dedicated team that does that kind of thing. She says she doesnt do it and lamented on my payment history. My Uti is 19%. I hope they approve it because i need some flexibility on that Costco card. My GF charges way too much on it and i have to pay for actually use after she runs the damn it up to 90% utilization.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 7 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

My experian score is 720+, unless if it changed overnight.

Where did you get this score?  Keep in mind that whatever score you get may differ from what AmEx gets due to differences in models.

@peaceonearth wrote:

Yes, AMEX uses their internal score system.

They use both FICO and their own internal system.  The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.