Reply
Valued Contributor
jamesdwi
Posts: 1,733
Registered: ‎09-16-2011
0

Re: Amex CLI denied


nada9188 wrote:

I am aware that my income is not that great-if I could wake up tomorrow and double it I would. In reality I am on track for closer to $40K/yr, but I do not have the tax returns to back it up yet, so I am not risking that.

 

There are posts on here often that people have more available credit than their income, why am I the exception?

 

Work is paying for my school-that is not included in income-I am a full time student-I don't pay for insurance.

 

I ran over 10K through the card last month. 

 

I am not yet eligible for a credit limit reallocation, my BCE is SD'd but it has all of the available credit. 


It appears the oldest card you have is only 4 years old and AMEX is a very conservative lender, if you had 10 year old cards it would be a different story or if you had NFCU a lender known for high limit cards.  A fico over 760 would help as well. 


Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Freedom 6.6k & Amtrak 4.6k, FNBO DISC 14.9k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Zync NPSL, Sams Club MC 10k, Paypal Extras MC 6k, CapOne QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 3.9k, Walmart 4.5k, Citi Simplicity 7k, HHonors Gold 1k (moved 5k CL to Simplicity), Discover IT 6.5k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP 4/26//2014 no plans for new credit I think I have enough.
Valued Contributor
Crashem
Posts: 3,098
Registered: ‎01-26-2012
0

Re: Amex CLI denied


nada9188 wrote:

I am aware that my income is not that great-if I could wake up tomorrow and double it I would. In reality I am on track for closer to $40K/yr, but I do not have the tax returns to back it up yet, so I am not risking that.

 

There are posts on here often that people have more available credit than their income, why am I the exception?

 

Work is paying for my school-that is not included in income-I am a full time student-I don't pay for insurance.

 

I ran over 10K through the card last month. 

 

I am not yet eligible for a credit limit reallocation, my BCE is SD'd but it has all of the available credit. 


getting available creditabove your income is something you build up to.  It's not something that happens quickly.  The problem is cli would make Amex way above your other cards and that makes themuncomfortable given your income and lack of proof you could handle it.  Personally I would be using Amex to build your other credit lines so Amex sees you can handle larger credit lines which in turn makes them more comfortable.

               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Established Contributor
andre181
Posts: 626
Registered: ‎07-29-2010
0

Re: Amex CLI denied

I have about $75k in revolving limits with about $32k/year income.

 

AMEX is the only CCC I have that thinks that that's a problem.

Discover IT $24K | FNBO Visa $20K | Citi Forward $12.5K | US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $10K | Priceline/Barclays $10K | Amazon/Chase Visa Sig $8.3k | Citi ThankYou Preferred $6.5K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Sallie Mae World MC/Barclays $5K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | Commerce Bank $5K | WF Cash Back Visa $3.6K | Amazon/GEMB $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | AMEX BCE $2K Target $1K | AMEX Green
EX FICO (from AMEX): 754, TU08 FICO (from Discover): 755, AAoA: 3.6 years
Valued Contributor
CreditScholar
Posts: 2,300
Registered: ‎01-22-2012
0

Re: Amex CLI denied


nada9188 wrote:

I am aware that my income is not that great-if I could wake up tomorrow and double it I would. In reality I am on track for closer to $40K/yr, but I do not have the tax returns to back it up yet, so I am not risking that.

 

There are posts on here often that people have more available credit than their income, why am I the exception?

 

Work is paying for my school-that is not included in income-I am a full time student-I don't pay for insurance.

 

I ran over 10K through the card last month. 

 

I am not yet eligible for a credit limit reallocation, my BCE is SD'd but it has all of the available credit. 


If you're running that kind of money through with a stated income of only 32k, be prepared for a FR. Spending not matching someone's income is one of the top triggers.

 

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Valued Contributor
Crashem
Posts: 3,098
Registered: ‎01-26-2012
0

Re: Amex CLI denied


andre181 wrote:

I have about $75k in revolving limits with about $32k/year income.

 

AMEX is the only CCC I have that thinks that that's a problem.


did you get rejected cli?

               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Established Contributor
andre181
Posts: 626
Registered: ‎07-29-2010
0

Re: Amex CLI denied


Crashem wrote:

andre181 wrote:

I have about $75k in revolving limits with about $32k/year income.

 

AMEX is the only CCC I have that thinks that that's a problem.


did you get rejected cli?


Yep. Amex has never granted me a CLI in almost 2 years of having an AMEX revolver.

Discover IT $24K | FNBO Visa $20K | Citi Forward $12.5K | US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $10K | Priceline/Barclays $10K | Amazon/Chase Visa Sig $8.3k | Citi ThankYou Preferred $6.5K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Sallie Mae World MC/Barclays $5K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | Commerce Bank $5K | WF Cash Back Visa $3.6K | Amazon/GEMB $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | AMEX BCE $2K Target $1K | AMEX Green
EX FICO (from AMEX): 754, TU08 FICO (from Discover): 755, AAoA: 3.6 years
Valued Contributor
Crashem
Posts: 3,098
Registered: ‎01-26-2012
0

Re: Amex CLI denied


andre181 wrote:

Crashem wrote:

andre181 wrote:

I have about $75k in revolving limits with about $32k/year income.

 

AMEX is the only CCC I have that thinks that that's a problem.


did you get rejected cli?


Yep. Amex has never granted me a CLI in almost 2 years of having an AMEX revolver.


weird.  Can get some details?  You usually low util when asking for cliA?

               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Established Contributor
andre181
Posts: 626
Registered: ‎07-29-2010
0

Re: Amex CLI denied

[ Edited ]

Definitely. I'm always very aware of my CC usage considering my low-ish income. My util is never more than 5%

 

I have a lot in student loans though and I think that is what worries AMEX. Its about $45k so far and will be at *gulp* about $60k when I graduate.

 

That and a lot of inquiries (10) are the only things that AMEX cite as my reasons for denial. My EX FICO is 754 according to them so its not a credit issue, but a low income issue.

 

But other than that, my CR's are stellar (in my opinion). No lates, no collections, nothing adverse. Paid and closed auto loan with original balance of $13,499 which was PIF in 15 months.

 

 

Discover IT $24K | FNBO Visa $20K | Citi Forward $12.5K | US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $10K | Priceline/Barclays $10K | Amazon/Chase Visa Sig $8.3k | Citi ThankYou Preferred $6.5K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Sallie Mae World MC/Barclays $5K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | Commerce Bank $5K | WF Cash Back Visa $3.6K | Amazon/GEMB $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | AMEX BCE $2K Target $1K | AMEX Green
EX FICO (from AMEX): 754, TU08 FICO (from Discover): 755, AAoA: 3.6 years
Valued Contributor
CreditScholar
Posts: 2,300
Registered: ‎01-22-2012
0

Re: Amex CLI denied


andre181 wrote:

Definitely. I'm always very aware of my CC usage considering my low-ish income. My util is never more than 5%

 

I have a lot in student loans though and I think that is what worries AMEX. Its about $45k so far and will be at *gulp* about $60k when I graduate.

 

That and a lot of inquiries (10) are the only things that AMEX cite as my reasons for denial. My EX FICO is 754 according to them so its not a credit issue, but a low income issue.

 

I wonder if I close my PRG if they'd be more comfortable increasing my limit on my BCE. 


Your loans are probably the major issue here. Given Amex's spend-centric model, the amount you owe on your loans will severely limit the amount you'll be able to spend on their cards. This is doubly true if your income is low-ish.

 

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Established Contributor
andre181
Posts: 626
Registered: ‎07-29-2010
0

Re: Amex CLI denied

That's what I figured.

 

But honestly, it doesn't really bother me. At almost $75k in revolving limits, I have all the credit I need at this point. And my Discover More is my go-to card and I have a very nice limit with them at $13.3k, so I'm good.

Discover IT $24K | FNBO Visa $20K | Citi Forward $12.5K | US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $10K | Priceline/Barclays $10K | Amazon/Chase Visa Sig $8.3k | Citi ThankYou Preferred $6.5K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Sallie Mae World MC/Barclays $5K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | Commerce Bank $5K | WF Cash Back Visa $3.6K | Amazon/GEMB $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | AMEX BCE $2K Target $1K | AMEX Green
EX FICO (from AMEX): 754, TU08 FICO (from Discover): 755, AAoA: 3.6 years

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+