Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex CLI question

Hello I just wanted to double check on a CLI with amex.  So I already have a amex and asked for a CLI back on January 17th.  I got instant approval for the CLI.  On that very same day I applied for the blue cash card and was approved for it.  This was all done pretty much right after the CLI.  So my question is can I not ask for a CLI on the blue cash until 6 months which would be in July?  Or does this not apply to me?  Thanks guys.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex CLI question

You have to wait 6 months from last successful CLI to request a new one, only 1 request per client (not for card), so you have to choose which card will you ask for CLI next.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually have a very similar situation and question. I received a CLI on my everyday card in January, and then got a BCP in February, and immediately requested a CLI (not knowing that it was per client and not per card), and was denied. Amex's policy states that you must wait 6 months from the last successful CLI, or 90 days from a denial.

I was approved on the one card in January, and denied on the other in February. Knowing this, will I have to wait 6 months from the January approval (until July), or 90 days after the most recent denial (this month, May)? An Amex CSR told me that I could submit another request this month, after the 90 day mark, but I'm skeptical. Anyone know?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello I just wanted to double check on a CLI with amex.  So I already have a amex and asked for a CLI back on January 17th.  I got instant approval for the CLI.  On that very same day I applied for the blue cash card and was approved for it.  This was all done pretty much right after the CLI.  So my question is can I not ask for a CLI on the blue cash until 6 months which would be in July?  Or does this not apply to me?  Thanks guys.

Lets not over think this.  You should be able to request a CLI after July, 17th (6 months from last CLI).

Message 4 of 5
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually have a very similar situation and question. I received a CLI on my everyday card in January, and then got a BCP in February, and immediately requested a CLI (not knowing that it was per client and not per card), and was denied. Amex's policy states that you must wait 6 months from the last successful CLI, or 90 days from a denial.

I was approved on the one card in January, and denied on the other in February. Knowing this, will I have to wait 6 months from the January approval (until July), or 90 days after the most recent denial (this month, May)? An Amex CSR told me that I could submit another request this month, after the 90 day mark, but I'm skeptical. Anyone know?

The denial letter should say something like 'time since last increase too short' (I really don't remember what I read in other post).

As yes-its-me said, it is 6 months from your last CLI approval. You can try again and you will get denied until it is more than 6 months.

Of course, they can change the 'rules' any time, but today those are the rules.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.