Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex CLI question

I used the online section yesterday to ask for an CLI on Amex. I got the 7-10 day notice. Should I call them? If so how long should I wait before calling?

I want the increase to help with my utilization. I owe nothing on any of my cards as I PIF. I'm going away this month and don't want to screw myself using the card and raising my % and ruin my scores.

eq: 726 tu: 692 ex: 696 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex CLI question

You're a bold soul, but it's good that you aren't carrying balances. Are the other cards reporting $0, or are you paying after the statement posts? Because of course, if you wait until the balance posts, you're getting high util reporting, even though you PIF. (I'm sorry, it's like there's a key in my back, and someone winds it up and sets me off whenever we get on this subject! Smiley Very Happy )

I'd say (very cautiously) that it would be useful to call to explain the reasoning behind your request --that you'll be on the road and don't want to have to worry about a high balance reporting.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're pretty much all reporting $0. I think I missed like two with a total balance of around $200. I'm under a 9% utilization reporting.

Use a backdoor number for Amex? I noticed the one listed in backdoor thread only has one for something for Amex but not a regular number.  

Message 3 of 5
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Hi FLDead, welcome to the forums!

As Hauling said, you are indeed the bold soul to request a CLI from Amex. They have been AA'ing a lot of cardholders lately, myself included. 

Normally the 7-10 day message is always an instant decline. You can try the backdoor number also, but there was some discussion around here about a year ago about how Amex supervisors lost their powers to overturn computer generated declines due to the financial crisis. 

Here we go again...
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Called today and the guy told me it was declined.  I explained why I wanted the increase as I would be spending and didn't want it to affect my %. He agreed with me as to my purpose and said it was a good idea to do so but said because of what is happening he couldn't go in and give me an increase.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.