Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex CLI question

yes, you need to wait 91 days since DENIAL but it DOES NOT restart if you try between 1 and 90 days. i don't get the issue here.
Message 21 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 22 of 45
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Boober, I think you're misinterpreting that thread. The people in there are saying that they went for their 3x CLI after 91 days, and got denied simply because they didn't qualify for it, not because of trying too soon or whatever. Once you are eligible to ASK,(i.e. After 91 days), and you are DENIED, only then does the clock restart. Asking too early, like, say, 89 days in, will result in denial because it's too soon, however, you would still be able to ask a couple of days later because the clock does NOT reset. If you are denied again after 91 days, then it would be due to simply not qualifying for the CLI, and then that's when the clock restarts.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 23 of 45
boober
Frequent Contributor

Sorry guys, someone here at the forums gave me some bad info apparently and I had been assuming it was correct info for the last 2 months or so. So as a result I'd been waiting to ask for a CLI on my 2 Amex cards.

I even copied the info I got in a thread here and saved it just to be sure so I'd remember it as time went on....

AMEX CLI RULES: Now, recapping some of the rules:

1) Once you get a CLI on an AMEX Revolver, you have to wait 6 months before asking for any CLI on any other AMEX revolver.

2) Next, if you ask and are denied a CLI, then you must wait at least 90 days before requesting again.

If you move too fast, and get these two blocks working against you, you can perpetually try and fail to get a CLI because not enough time has passed.

Said a different way, the AMEX CLI is not a Luv Button like some other banks where you just keep pressing it until something happens. With AMEX you really have to plan and wait for the time limits to pass be fore doing anything.

So #2 is apparently BS and I'm wishing I could find where I got that info from, but I've read through way too many threads to be able to find it.

I guess I'll go ahead and ask for those CLI's I'd been putting off for so long. Smiley Surprised

Message 24 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@boober wrote:

Sorry guys, someone here at the forums gave me some bad info apparently and I had been assuming it was correct info for the last 2 months or so. So as a result I'd been waiting to ask for a CLI on my 2 Amex cards.

I even copied the info I got in a thread here and saved it just to be sure so I'd remember it as time went on....

AMEX CLI RULES: Now, recapping some of the rules:

1) Once you get a CLI on an AMEX Revolver, you have to wait 6 months before asking for any CLI on any other AMEX revolver.

2) Next, if you ask and are denied a CLI, then you must wait at least 90 days before requesting again.

If you move too fast, and get these two blocks working against you, you can perpetually try and fail to get a CLI because not enough time has passed.

Said a different way, the AMEX CLI is not a Luv Button like some other banks where you just keep pressing it until something happens. With AMEX you really have to plan and wait for the time limits to pass be fore doing anything.

So #2 is apparently BS and I'm wishing I could find where I got that info from, but I've read through way too many threads to be able to find it.

I guess I'll go ahead and ask for those CLI's I'd been putting off for so long. Smiley Surprised

Let's make sure this is clear so you don't screwup or wait too long.  #2 as written isn't BS, it's just not complete.  If you try for a CLI when you're eligible and are denied, then you do need to wait 91 days to try again.  If the denial reason is for example because of something on your credit report then you do have to wait the 91 days.  However, if you're denied because you're trying too early, that does not reset the clock and you can try when you would have been eligible in the first place. In that case, you don't have to wait the 91 days.

Message 25 of 45
Dcyphrz
Established Member

I've applied for CLI a couple of times prematurely and phone reps simply told me that I jumped the gun and lacked X number of days before it would allow me to submit the request.  No mention of a reset, of course I wasn't denied the CLI itself, only the REQUEST for a CLI.

Message 26 of 45
boober
Frequent Contributor

Thanks irish for further trying to explain this but I'm even more confused now than before. LOL Smiley Sad

I'm sorry but this is kind of ridiculous the way Amex does CLI's.

Can you or someone else maybe just explain to me if I'm currently "ok" to ask for a CLI from Amex on my 2 cards?

I got both my cards about 8 months ago. I've never gotten a CLI on either of em. I asked for one within a week or so of getting the cards but was denied. One card has a 1k limit which is really ridiculously low for me. And the other card has a 10k limit.

I tried again a couple of months later and was denied. I tried again a couple of months later and denied again. I've tried I guess about 3 times total and it was every couple of months or so. It's been about 2 months since i've last tried.

Can you tell me based on all the info I just provided if I'm eligible to ask now, or do i need to wait another month or so?

Is there something else that might be keeping me from being eligible to ask for a CLI?

Thanks.

Message 27 of 45
boober
Frequent Contributor

@Dcyphrz wrote:

I've applied for CLI a couple of times prematurely and phone reps simply told me that I jumped the gun and lacked X number of days before it would allow me to submit the request.  No mention of a reset, of course I wasn't denied the CLI itself, only the REQUEST for a CLI.

Thanks for that info. I think I've got it now based off of that.

Message 28 of 45
Dcyphrz
Established Member

You could just call AMEX and ask if you're eligible to request a CLI.  They can look up exact request dates on the accounts (the ones which were actually considered for CLIs, not the premature ones that are basically non-events). 

Message 29 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

you're being unclear with your "couple months later" stuff. if you got it, asked in 1 week then that means that was 7.75 months ago. if you tried 2 months later then that was too early by a month. so your next one 2 months afterwards would have been fair and your most recent one is a month early so i would wait a month and a half to be safe.
Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.