Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI test - got the 7-10 day notice

tag
MTSN
Regular Contributor

Amex CLI test - got the 7-10 day notice

I recently opened the Costco Amex card since I do most of my shopping there and having a vehicle that gets 12mpg the gas rewards add up. I had recently done an app spree after closing on my first house and was able to get a few nice cards with good limits, so I definitely did not "need" the Amex card. As such, I didn't really mind if I did not get a CLI after 61 days, so I figured I would test the system to see if carrying a balance affected the outcome. I have ~5% util across the board except on the Amex. I bought a few things at Christmas time that I have been paying slowly to take advantage of the 6 months 0% interest and currently have a balance of $2900 out of an $8600 limit. I have run through a total of around $8k and paid down ~$5k of it.

I did the CLI for $24k after about 70 days of having the card open and was given the 7-10 day message which I presume is nearly always a denial. Like I said I didn't need the CLI at all but was curious what the effect was of having a balance when requesting it, and it appears that does cause a high likelihood of denial for CLI. I'll pay the balance in full within the next couple months before the 0% expires and try the CLI request again in 6 months just for kicks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex CLI test - got the 7-10 day notice

@MTSN wrote:

I recently opened the Costco Amex card since I do most of my shopping there and having a vehicle that gets 12mpg the gas rewards add up. I had recently done an app spree after closing on my first house and was able to get a few nice cards with good limits, so I definitely did not "need" the Amex card. As such, I didn't really mind if I did not get a CLI after 61 days, so I figured I would test the system to see if carrying a balance affected the outcome. I have ~5% util across the board except on the Amex. I bought a few things at Christmas time that I have been paying slowly to take advantage of the 6 months 0% interest and currently have a balance of $2900 out of an $8600 limit. I have run through a total of around $8k and paid down ~$5k of it.

I did the CLI for $24k after about 70 days of having the card open and was given the 7-10 day message which I presume is nearly always a denial. Like I said I didn't need the CLI at all but was curious what the effect was of having a balance when requesting it, and it appears that does cause a high likelihood of denial for CLI. I'll pay the balance in full within the next couple months before the 0% expires and try the CLI request again in 6 months just for kicks.

@MTSN wrote:

Call them and see whats up with the CLI could be something very simple.. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
MTSN
Regular Contributor

Not a bad idea. I might give them a call and see. I was planning to wait for the letter to come to see, but a call definitely can't hurt either!

Message 3 of 4
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@MTSN wrote:

Sorry for the denial. IIRC, you are able to request a CLI again 90 days from denial date. No need to wait 6 months.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.