Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI timing?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Amex CLI timing?

Does anyone know how the timing for the 2nd CLI w/Amex works? It's 6 mos, right? So, if I got CLI #1 in April (but don't recall exact date -- probably around the 25th). Then could I do a request for CLI in Oct or Nov? I had been thinking Oct. But since I got the CLI near the end of April, I'm wondering if they would count that as a month. Or do they go by the date (like with 61 days, which is pretty specific).

So would I need to wait till after Oct 25th? Or Nov? Or could I do earlier in Oct?

Thanks!

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Cageym
Established Contributor

Re: Amex CLI timing?

I  understand that it is 6 months after the 61 day 3x.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 2 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Cageym wrote:

I  understand that it is 6 months after the 61 day 3x.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out when people have been getting their 6-mos CLI. Since I got my CLI at the end of April, should it be the end of October? Or any time during October? Or should I wait until November to be over the 6-month mark?

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Can anyone share how you timed your 2nd CLI w/Amex?

Message 4 of 19
DrewH

Bump - I got approved for a CLI to 6k on April 10th and here we are exactly six months later and I'm sitting here looking at the CLI button--hesitantly.

Anyone know if it's smarter to wait another day just to be safe or should I go ahead and pull the trigger?

TU 807, EX 788, EQ 785
Message 5 of 19
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

As a simple exercise in credit self control, I suggest waiting a couple more days unless there is some super pressing need right this minute to get the credit increase.  I never understand these (almost obsessive) threads about how to calculate the 61 days, whether from account approval or activation, etc.  If you're unsure, is it really a big deal to wait a couple more days?  I'm waiting for the discussion of whether the 61st day, or 6 month period, starts at midnight Greenwich Mean Time, or whether you have to wait to the hour that you activated your account.

On the flipside, I'm pretty sure if you apply early, it just says you are ineligible or something like that, and you can apply again whenever the correct time is, i.e., it doesn't reset the 6 month clock if you jump the gun.  I know there are threads about this.  A few searches should be able to confirm.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 19
DrewH

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I can't really explain my fascination (read: addiction) with credit & CLIs but I've had this day marked in my calendar for months and it's been on my mind nonstop this week. I guess a few more days won't hurt me. AMEX has been sending me a lot of promotional mail over the last couple months so hopefully that's a good sign.

TU 807, EX 788, EQ 785
Message 7 of 19
adavis425
Established Contributor

Yeah, I don't think it has to be to the day. As Walt basically says, it needn't be so precise. I think the 61-day and 6 month timeframes are just guidelines.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 8 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Why not just wait til 11/1 and ask? I agree if its not really needed to use wait a little longer.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 19
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Does it have to be at 12:01 Utah time or according to your local time zone??? lol

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.