Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex CLI

So I've had the account for just over a year with a limit of $16.5K. I went online, because I was being lazy, and asked for a CLI. They ask you to put in an amount and I randomly put $25K. Boom! Approved in seconds. I want to get the limit as high as I can to help with my available credit. Obviously I didn't "max it out."

My question is this. How long should I wait before trying again? And, should I call in, or just ask for an additional $30K or something and see what they actually come back with? They didn't pull my score, which I didn't think they would based on my experience with them. Afraid they might if I ask to soon....

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex CLI

I think the limit is one request per 6 months.
Message 2 of 9
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My question is this. How long should I wait before trying again? And, should I call in, or just ask for an additional $30K or something and see what they actually come back with? They didn't pull my score, which I didn't think they would based on my experience with them. Afraid they might if I ask to soon....

Thoughts?

Be careful with AMEX.  With a CL of $25k you aren't going to get a 2x or 3x CLI as we often see discussed as a guideline to how much CLI you can get through AMEX.  If you started with $2k or $3k that might happen, but not when you get to $25k.  I'd think you should be happy with a $5k, or maybe a $10k, CL increase in six months.  I'm not sure AMEX negotiates a CLI, I think you request an amount and they say yes or no.  I could be wrong on this point as others will chime in.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So would I be better off to call next time? If they say no to an increase of X, ask them what I can have?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

About six months ago I called to request a CLI for my Hilton Honors American Express. I requested a $4,000 increase to $5,000 total CLI. The CSR put me on hold and came back to tell me if I would request $3,000 they would approve the CLI. They stated (and I later received this in writing) that my original request was denied because it was more than 3 times my current CL. Granted, in the previous year since I opened the card I had put $22,000 of business expenses (weekly expenses of over $500 for the entire year) and I paid weekly. I'm not sure if this is why they were willing to "negotiate" with me assuming I would run much more through if they increased it. Also, they didn't pull my credit for this increase. I kind of wish they had since I had removed the only two collections and 3 of 5 late payments from my credit since I applied for the card. Hope some of this info is useful.

Message 5 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

I'd enjoy the 8.5k increase for around 6 mos. at min. before going back they may want docs/FR for future requests or at any time really.

IMHO, particularly with amex--the bigger they come, the harder they fall...consider building CL with other issuer too, if you want a high limit that is more reliable/ stable. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would suggest obtaining a 2nd amex card before trying push yourself beyond the 25k limit.

My father never could get amex to take him above 25k on 1 individual card but they would gladly issue new cards with 10k+ limits to begin. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

The higher the CL, the more potential for FR or other AA in the future should AMEX have to cut back or become more restrictive due to economic factors of the company, especially those CL's not used.

Message Edited by txjohn on 01-27-2010 12:33 PM
Message 8 of 9
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

+1 for the FR review comment.
TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.