Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLi 3x which card ?

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex CLi 3x which card ?

With the backdate, it seems you will be set to get any card you want.

Might be a good time to check out CSP.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 11 of 21
iFICO
Valued Member

Congrats on the backdating!  Makes a HUGE difference in AAoA  and your scores are probably much better for it.  

Since the cards are both new, I would say go for 3x on the BCE, and then in 6 months you can get another 3x on it to take it to $9k!!  

Starting Score: TU698 EQ691
Current Score: TU800 EQ816
Goal Score: achieved

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 21
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@Mustangfrank wrote:

I agree with you I need another card or two. I was thinking CSP as well. I have a checking account with them.

Or maybe Discover. They send me pre approvals twice a week.

Then I could drop the CapitalOne secured Platinum card I used as a starter.

How long is your credit history?

My credit history is only nine (9) months with a capitalOne secured card. 

But I did have an American Express Card years ago and they back dated my new cards 29 years.

I built up my FICO scores using the information on these boards and applied for the 3 Amex cards all on the same day and they approved me for all of them.

Amex Zync NPSL 9/12, Amex CostcoTrue Earnings $10K 9/12
Amex BCE $3K 9/12 (Amex Back Dated to 1983)
Chase Sapphire Preferred $17K 11/12, Chase Freedom $7K 11/12
Discover More $750 11/12
CapitalOne Platinum Secured Card 2K 2/12 (Closed 12/12)
FICO: EQ = 804 EX = 802(Amex) TU = 801(Discover)
Message 13 of 21
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

@iFICO wrote:

Congrats on the backdating!  Makes a HUGE difference in AAoA  and your scores are probably much better for it.  

Since the cards are both new, I would say go for 3x on the BCE, and then in 6 months you can get another 3x on it to take it to $9k!!  

Thank You.

I just started from scratch with the Capital One secured card and kept my usage low and PLI every month.

The new card approvals increased my score and the Back Dating sent me above the 760 mark.

Discover More $750 11/12
Message 14 of 21
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Mustangfrank...

First, congrats on those cards!!

Here are my thoughts:

Try for that 25k on Costco FIRST
Then try for a cli on Amex.

I say this because expanding your total avail credit by $15k is much more beneficial to your score than just by $3k....

Not only that, but Amex might end up auto cli'ing you on BCE if they notice you have a $1k limit on it VS. A $25k limit on Costco... They notice stuff like that...

Hate to disagree witu everyone, but those higher limits are more importnt... You could also request a cli on both cards or if you get to $25k, maybe move $5-10k to BCE.

:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 15 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Mustangfrank...

Here are my thoughts:

I say this because expanding your total avail credit by $15k is much more beneficial to your score than just by $3k....

Not only that, but Amex might end up auto cli'ing you on BCE if they notice you have a $1k limit on it VS. A $25k limit on Costco... They notice stuff like that...

Hate to disagree witu everyone, but those higher limits are more importnt... You could also request a cli on both cards or if you get to $25k, maybe move $5-10k to BCE.

I think ask for a CLI on the TE account, and then transfer some of the limit over to the BCE.  Bring the BCE up to 5k at least

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 16 of 21
swpopham
Established Contributor

I agree go after the TE first. that would be the most helpful

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 17 of 21
mistabgeez
New Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Mustangfrank...

Here are my thoughts:

+1

AMEX BCE $15,500 Citi Double Cash $8,700 USAA $6,000
Chase Freedom $2,500 Discover It $10,600
M & T Visa $2,500 CU Visa $10,000, BOAmericard $7,500
Message 18 of 21
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

Was in the same situation as OP and followed the same logic as above posters.

Go for Costo CLI first and get it to $25k. 6 months later BCE CLI to $3k and to $9k in another 6 months.At this point in time(14 months since all accounts opening) you will be eligible to move limits between the cards if needed and you will have a total of $34k in available credit from Amex. But having a $25k card will look great to other lenders and any future cards you apply for will have high starting limits.

By the way even with the backdating, you can only move limits between card after 13 statements.

Message 19 of 21
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

@MustangSaluki wrote:

Was in the same situation as OP and followed the same logic as above posters.

Go for Costo CLI first and get it to $25k. 6 months later BCE CLI to $3k and to $9k in another 6 months.At this point in time(14 months since all accounts opening) you will be eligible to move limits between the cards if needed and you will have a total of $34k in available credit from Amex. But having a $25k card will look great to other lenders and any future cards you apply for will have high starting limits.

By the way even with the backdating, you can only move limits between card after 13 statements.

Thanks for the input.

Has anyone else been successful with this approach ?

It seems to make sense even if Amex doubles my CL I will have a much healthier credit total.

Is this process purely done within an automated system ? Or is there a manual review ?

Can you apply for a CLi on more than one Amex card at a time?

Do people ask for the full 3x usually or is that just a guideline to what has worked in the past.

Discover More $750 11/12
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.