Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Called to Verify Banking Information

tag
mahendra82
Contributor

Amex Called to Verify Banking Information

I got a call from Amex, and they wanted to verify my banking information. During the conversation, they called Citibank (the bank where I have my savings and checking account with) and verified that I had an account with them while I was on the phone. Is this normal? Is this a version of a "light" financial review?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex Called to Verify Banking Information

That just doesn't make since to me... If you are paying the bill, why do they care who's checking account it is!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mahendra82 wrote:

I got a call from Amex, and they wanted to verify my banking information. During the conversation, they called Citibank (the bank where I have my savings and checking account with) and verified that I had an account with them while I was on the phone. Is this normal? Is this a version of a "light" financial review?

The call COULD be a scammer trying to obtain your bank information. Did they ask you for your full account number?

Message 3 of 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Have you called amex directly to make sure it is not some one trying to fish your personal information?

Message 4 of 10
mross1080
Established Contributor

When I was first approved from AMEX I went through the same thing only with BOA they called to confirm my address.

Message 5 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I had a similar thing happen when I first got my card.  After a couple charges, it was shut down when I tried to use it at a grocery store.  When I called customer service, I was told it had been flagged and they had tried to call me but couldn't reach me, so they shut the account down.  For some reason, they tried to call my office number rather than my cell.  There was something about cell phones not sharing info with the credit card companies, so they couldn't verify my account with my cell info???  It's been a while so I can't exactly remember the details. 

In any event, in order to reactivate the account, they needed to verify my identity.  It was a quick three-way call with a banking representative who verified my name and address and how long I had been a customer with the bank.  At the end of the call, the Amex rep asked if they could have permission to contact me on my cell in the event this happened again so we wouldn't have to go through the verification process.  I said yes, but I haven't had any more issues. 

I didn't have the concern regarding phishing because I called Amex, but your experience sounds similar to mine.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
mahendra82
Contributor

This sounds exactly like what happened to me. I'm not sure why they would need to verify Banking information though other than to confirm my identity. They didn't ask for any other information (savings/checking account # or balance).  They just wanted to confirm the address with my bank. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When my dad got approved for the Amex Clear, they called BOA to verify his address. I dont think this has anything to do with FR.

Message 8 of 10
sddykstr
Valued Member

From what I understand, it's an identity / address verification thing.

Starting Score: 653
Current Score: 721
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

When my dad got approved for the Amex Clear, they called BOA to verify his address. I dont think this has anything to do with FR.

I didn't think one bank can call another bank to verify someone's address. Interesting....

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.